Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bevelling Edges Turns Faces Black?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
RobMeade
2947 Views, 7 Replies

Bevelling Edges Turns Faces Black?

Hi all,

So, I had a little look online before posting this, but what I found suggested reversing the normals for the faces which had turned black.  I've tried that, it made no difference.

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.  Could there be any other reason other than flipped normals?  On that note, if I look inside the mesh, I don't see the default grey internally, and when I turned on the face normals, the little lines appear to be sticking "out" correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wasn't sure of the best way to get images into the posts here, so I've recorded a little video of the issue and popped it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/jZc-KTNu2Jg

I lost 4 hours on this little project today when Maya went a bit nuts after a series of "Undos" were performed, the entire mesh disappeared.  I closed Maya and re-opened only to find the last save had been 4 hours previously - although I'm entirely sure I had saved it after that point (auto-saves are off, and that's my fault) - but needless to say my patience is running low with Maya today - and myself.... 😞

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
damaggio
in reply to: RobMeade

The mesh looks fine, just delete history,  unlock normals and set new angle.

I'm not sure why is behaving like that, you might wanna try resetting the prefs.

Cannot replicate here.

Message 3 of 8
RobMeade

Hi @Anonymous, thank you for taking the time to reply and for your offer of help 🙂

I've created a duplicate of the mesh, and then tried the steps you've suggested, changing the angle from the default 30 to 45, and then to 20... neither of these made any difference, the faces still change to black (not sure how else to refer to the issue but if there is a term, please do let me know).

Resetting prefs wise... I am not sure what I may have changed in my prefs, is there a way to make a backup of them first before resetting in case things go screwy?

Oh, and as a quick test, I created a simple cube, used the default bevelling on that, and it worked fine.  Seems to be only my mesh...  it does have an "open bottom" so to speak, I have closed that to see if that made any difference, but again, same result.

Message 4 of 8
damaggio

Before you reset pref, export the mesh in OBJ, import again and try the bevel once more.

Sometimes exporting resolves the issue with the mesh.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Reset-May...

Message 5 of 8
RobMeade

Hi, thanks again for the reply.  I did the export, and then re-imported, and on that version in the scene it bevels fine!?  

I can only assume some data is lost/truncated when exporting out as obj, so when its re-imported, whatever was messed up is kinda gone.  Bit baffling though, certainly not something I'd have thought of trying, so thank you, and for the preferences info link.

Appreciate your help (again) @Anonymous 🙂

Message 6 of 8
damaggio

Cool Rob, I'm glad it worked.

Message 7 of 8
peteVXN6D

I was having this same issue and no amount of exporting and re-importing did the trick. It wasn't a normals issue either.  What I did was to go the attributes in the object's shape node and turn off displayColors (see image)

peteVXN6D_0-1631288225800.png

Message 8 of 8
wonkim21

Try this method:
Select the Beveled Mesh which was turned black and Mesh Display > Apply color > Remove Color.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report