Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baking Normal Maps (For a tree)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1895 Views, 6 Replies

Baking Normal Maps (For a tree)

Hello everyone, 

I'm a little confused about baking my normal maps for my tree let me explain my workflow. 

1. I created a low poly mesh in maya with a good topology (trunk) 

2. I added some branches using 3ds max with attach, chamfer, target weld and bridge to connect the branches to the hole in my trunk. 

3. I made my uv mapping and uv layout in maya. 

4. I extract the branches from the trunk to create 2 group for texturing after in quixel suite 

5. I export my low poly mesh out of maya, and open zbrush and i duplicate it to create my high poly mesh by adding some details to bakes on my low poly mesh 

6. My result is ok but i see the edge of the branches when i apply my normal maps and i'm just not sure if it will give me some trouble later on.. I look in alot of tutorial that talking about "cages" baking or smoothing edge but i'm really confused about what should i do for this type of tree models and i hope that someone can give me a better idea about it. I also try with xnormal but i get the same result. 

I look this documentation too: 

http://leonano.com/portfolio/5-workflow-bake-details-zbrush-lowpoly/

Here's some photo: 

treemodels01.PNGhigh&low.PNG

Here's the normal map: 

Thank you in advance!!! 

VB. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks pretty good Vincent, we would need to see this edge you are talking about, either as a Maya render or quixel screen grab.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

damaggio, 

I've made a quick test in Quixel suite and yes i don't know if it's just me that trying a bit too much to make things too great but is the visible edge for the branches is ok ? and my normal map also make a weird wrinkle in the bottom of some branches and I dont really know why. 

I tested a lot of things this week so also i'm pretty sure i can have a better result if I give more time to work on my high poly models (add smoother effect on the branches) but really I wanted to have the best results because i have 6 more trees to rework on with a good topology like this tree. 

Did is just me that exagerate a bit too much for the result? haha it can be! 

Here's photos: 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

For Maya -> Unity I make hardedges based on uv islands. That way I always got clean results while baking in substance.

Also, use edge padding.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Some more questions :

1. Is that change anything in the baking normal map if i sculpt and connect the edge to the trunk in my high poly mesh (without dynameshing, just subdivise to 1mil poly)

2. About cage's i've never really did that as i see this is the low poly model that cover the entire scale of the high poly, is it really worth? Is it give really better result?
3. When you say edge padding i personally add 4 in xnormal is that ok?

My goal is to learn quickly some great and useful stuff to highly improve my workflow
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

1. I am not sure what you mean - thing that matter is to keep same silhouette for both lowpolly and highpolly. Way you create you highpolly (dynamesh/subd. in zbrush) doesnt really matter.

2. Use of cage depends on situation. Sometimes can help to get rid of artifacts. I dont do cage if I dont need one. (which is 99 percent of time ) 

3. Depends what you plan to do with your model. For game models, fill all unused texture space with dilation - it is not used for anything else anyway, and helps in game engines to get rid of visible seems in mipmaps.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for clarifying my question! 

For the first question i discover that for a tree this is not a good idea to DYNAMESH because after you hit that button you will have a 1mil - 2mil mesh which is look correct but if you look closely you can see that this step make your little branches being pretty destroyed like that : 

DynameshDynameshLow poly without sculptLow poly without sculpthighpoly without dynamesh just subdivisionhighpoly without dynamesh just subdivisionAnother example of sculpt without dynameshAnother example of sculpt without dynamesh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report