cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python in Maya LT

Python in Maya LT

The most voted idea for the last few years. Autodesk, bring Python back, dont be greedy!

45 Comments
james
Participant

This is the highest voted feature, I am disappointed Autodesk hasn't moved forward on this or at least made improvements to MEL scripting.  It's not like we even need pyMEL, but even basic commands in python would be great.

Hey Folks, 

Can you give us examples of what you are trying to do with Python, that you can't in Maya LT?  For example, many of the comments from the previous board wanted access to Unreal Rigging Tools (ART) - so we separated that as a new idea.  @James example above is very useful for us, but the more specific you can be the better.  

Thanks,

Laurence Cymet 

es.1.0
Participant

i'm programmer and everywhere i try to solve any issue through programming / scripting. Today I guess all modern DCC apps support Python scripting, but Maya LT (even UE4 supports Python). My problem is that i cant use Maya alternatives, because i'm total noob (work with DCC apps is not my primary task) and Maya UI is the most intuitive to me. Maya LT has all that i need except Python. Freedom to Python!

james
Participant

es.1.0 really... so your just going to demand autodesk have MAYA LT python support just for the sake of python?

es.1.0
Participant

well, in Maya LT i would like to have ability to work with nodes through Python and create UI using PySide.

first_emperor
Observer

Because almost every single plugin that improves the workflow or quality of assets needs python support. It's so essential. It's like you would hide the back gear of the car behind a big paywall. Sure you can still drive, but have fun parking the car.

And Autodesk is fully aware of this, it's a conscious decision to exclude it to make people pay more, because they just don't have an alternative. Never mind that this makes Maya bloatware, when you don't need all that other fancy stuff...

kawerau
Community Visitor

I need python for Mixamo auto control rig script. Is there anyway around this or nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OuT1U_h8ZM

krzysiek777kozlowski
Community Visitor

I need Python for The Setup Machine 3, one of the best rigging plugin for Maya.

It's written in Python. http://www.anzovin.com/tsm3/

bitwaker
Observer

This is a very important feature for any indie developer using Unreal Engine. 
There is a super useful (read it NEEDED) tool called ARTv1 (or mayatools). It helps rig characters and use some animations made for the default Unreal Engine Mannequin. This script has been specifically for Maya but in Python... without Python support we are losing the only instrument available out there to rig a character following the Unreal Mannequin (it also has some other important feature to work at Unreal Engine animations) 

andrewmzcroft
Participant

@laurence.cymet Im animator and i can give you more examples and reasons to add support in Maya LT for Pyton:

1. Obviously for be able to use epic games Unreal ART toolkit as you said.

2.But also be able to use some other great tools that are scripted in pyton and we would love to use in LT:

- ZV Parent master. (it is very usefeul and easy to use, more than standard maya constarints)

- Studiolibrary because is a good tool for managing poses and animations or please then add a pose/animation 

manager for both Maya LT and normal version and a better tool for mirroring animation than in maya bonus

tools, if not then integrate without have to download this bonus tools.

-Animbot This is the greatest tool (you Autodesk may support its development) but like the others this is enterely

scripted in pyton so we would like to use in both Maya LT and standard versions

3. Some people are unable to pay the full maya version licence and they dont need much of the full version features for game creation/animation (like in my case) so adding this feature will be much appreciated to access those tools and pay the excelent price of LT licence.

stephenhewett3d
Observer

As someone who only knows Python this does put a damper on my ability to work when my project doesn't require all the bells and whistles that Maya provides

being able to do simple things like loop through an action multiple times via python instead of repeating the action hundreds of times is one thing.

I have my own autorigger that I enjoy using that I've written in Python and Mel doesn't support the object oriented framework I'm used to

rocketalex3d
Contributor

As a person who doesn't know Python, I still need it to be able to use "Goz", "Couture for Maya" and "Hardmesh for Maya" in LT as those plug-ins are something that really makes modeller's life easier. So it's better to ask for general Python support than for adding such tools I believe?

quazirfan
Participant

@laurence.cymet Hello Laurence. I want python scripting support so I can built tools for my game engine. I was also planning to build a gLTF exporter.

stefanogiusio
Community Visitor

The lack of Python is what keeps me from subscribing to Maya LT. 😞 As a rigger, Python is much more powerful and cross platform compared to mel, and dedicating my time to mel is time I could spend getting better with Python.

dave-1998
Explorer

Im an animator and indie game dev. Autodesk has literally forced me to switch to blender because they don't support python in LT. As an indie and current without a fulltime job I cant pay 2000 a year for my preferred animation suite!! What I love about animating in Maya is they amount of tools it supports like animbot and studio library. but since LT cant support any of these, I have to go to an animation suite I dislike in almost every way for commercial work just so I can try to make tools myself or find some less than optimal ones to work in that software (Blender and Houdini(although I dont dislike Houdini))

If autodesk just adds phyton support to LT so that I can use the tools I want / need for animating, then I'd be a loyal customer and use it for every piece of commercial work I do. But for now, Autodesk is nowhere to be found on my list of subscriptions, and I hate that. 

Autodesk should consider a similar monetization approach to Houdini, where indies that make uptill a certain price range in profit, just have to pay less for the full suite. This would go a looong way in making Autodesk seem way less greedy and add many more people to their subscriber list. 

Thank for the continued input on this thread everyone.  We are sharing it with the team here to ensure that it is heard. 

eugenesokolov83
Observer

Python is standard for 3D scripting and must be fully supported from the box in such software, including Maya LT.

Free Blender supports Python.

Houdini Indie (which year subscribe price is very near to Maya LT) supports Python.

eugenesokolov83
Observer

I don't want to be toxic, but one thing must say. Nowadays we live in world with very expensive open source technologies like Unreal Engine. Substance, Blender and Houdini can be reached on Steam. Every step from developers are closer and closer to gamers community! And Maya LT, which was removed from Steam and still has lots of limitations in 2019 year, with only mel scripting - looks like very dinosauric.

Please, think of it.

eugenesokolov83
Observer

@laurence.cymet access to Maya LT API, for generation logic parts of dgraph in scene, making some custom tools such export or some simple deformer, useful scripts which help automations and speed up work. Common things.

Python is good because you can write some math algorithm once and reuse it with some edits beetween different software. But with Maya LT I must learn mel and rewrite everything from scratch!!! crazy! I am programmer and it is not big deal for me, but for artists such approach will make very hight "entry threshold level".

jnorgaar
Community Visitor

I have to agree with the sentiment here.  As a Technical Artist supporting artists and animators I need to be able to write tools quickly, and pass them to Artists and Animators who just need the basic features of Maya.  Python is a much easier language to work with if you're trying to do any real production.  On the flipside, full Maya is too expensive to purchase seats for artists who just need the basic features.  As a studio we are locked to using Full Maya, as tools we've made for production wont work in LT.

I think you guys should pay attention to the market.  The only thing preventing me from switching our pipeline fully over to Blender is that many artists are still not savy or comfortable with it.  I am sure you will see this change in the coming years unless you guys make your products more competitive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report