Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some MayaLT features not functionning

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
pior_o
577 Views, 2 Replies

Some MayaLT features not functionning

Hello AD team.

I am currently evaluating MayaLT to see if it would fit my needs.

(To give you a bit of a background : I used to work as a 3D modeler and concept artist in the game industry. Therefore my previous experience with Maya has always been with licenses provided by my workplaces - I actually learned Maya on the job. I am now considering the field of user created conted for games as an individual, and MayaLT seems to be perfect for that. I also already own a personal license of Mudbox 2012). 

However I am running into an issue, which I believe is an installation or an environmental problem. Basically, some features that are at the core of the MayaLT user experience seem to be missing on my install (which includes SP1. Initially downloaded and installed on June 25th and re-installed twice since). The missing features are :

- The shelf editor, not showing up after clicking "Shelf editor..." right under shelf tabs ;

- Sending menu items to an existing or custom shelf using ctrl-shift-click is not functionning ;

- Saving files (either to arbitrary location or to a project folder) is not functionning ;

- Exporting files to OBJ or FBX is not functionning either.

- Also surprisingly, I didn't notice a "Custom" shelf being present. However I am not sure if this is an issue or a design choice specific to MayaLT.

I have a feeling that this is an installation issue - possibly a conflict with the older Maya2013 trial that I used to have on the same machine. I since then tried to uninstall all versions and traces of Maya (including registery and environment variables), and then re-installed MayaLT afterwards, but I am still running into the same issues - the biggest of which being the impossibility to save. 

I now have only 10 days left into my evaluation period so I would greatly appreciate support on this issue. I do not believe that this is a regular bug, therefore I did not file a bug report. 

System specs is win7pro x64, a Core i7, 24Gigs of RAM and GTX 750Ti (therefore all well within the needed performance range.)

Thank you in advance for your support on this issue.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
matthew.carpenter
in reply to: pior_o

Hello

As a first step can you backup and nuke your preferences. They are in c:\users\<username>\maya

Let us know how you make out. Today is a national holiday in Canada so our response will be limited.
Message 3 of 3
pior_o
in reply to: matthew.carpenter

Hi Matthew, thank you for the very prompt response. I hope the holiday is going great !

Regarding the preference files : I do not see anything in c:\users\<username>\maya. However I did find them in :

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\maya.

In passing, I should mention that the path above is what I get when I copy it from the Explorer adress bar. The actual folders names are sligthly different :

C: -> Users -> <Username> -> My Documents -> maya. Now of course this is a windows quirk/feature, but I thought I'd mention it for the sake f being thorough.

Anyways - after deleting this folder and restarting Maya, it gets re-created as expected, but I am still running into the issues listed above.

BUT ! Just as I am typing this, I am noticing something odd in the Output window - an error about the PythonHome path which seemed to have been overriden by an unrelated tool on my machine. So, I deleted this environment variable (since, if I understand correctly, only PythonPath is required for general use) and now things seem to be in working order ! The shelf editor is showing up, I can now add shelf icons properly, and most importantly I can save files sucessfully now.

Therefore my problem seems to be fixed, but I thought I'd post the above anyways just in case someone runs into the same issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report