Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireframe opacity

wireframe opacity

I really need to turn down wireframe opacity so it’s slightly transparent, especially when im working with lidar scanned sets and matching meshes on plates.

20 Comments
zewt
Collaborator

You can change the grid color in grid options, but for some reason you can't actually pick a color and can only choose from a small palette.  (Grid options have probably been around since Maya 1.0 and not really been updated much since...)  Personally I just turn it off when it gets in the way, but a transparency slider could be useful since it would work against any background.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that is vary true but what i'm talking about is the mesh wireframe. I'm looking to match the hidden line feature in XSI. In the Display options under "Hidden Line Surface Color" you can change it to "Transparent" and then under the "Wireframe Highlight Opacity" you can change the transparency of your mesh wireframe. Are team would really need this feature immediately in maya as soon as possible.

zewt
Collaborator

Gotcha.  Same thing there: you can change to a small palette (at least this palette can be changed), so you can probably find a color that works better than the default, but transparency would be better for getting wireframes to work on any background.

Wireframes alpha can be set with some tools (eg. select a sculpting tool and you can set alpha in tool settings under Wireframe Display), so I guess it just needs a way to change the default alpha too.

I voted for this one too. Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please please please ! I can't see my deformation properly without wireframe opacity. Softimage has it, and I can't leave without it. 

BenediZ
Collaborator

Other softwares have the option, just to highlight the silhouette of the selected mesh.  With dense meshes you don't see anything, especially often with photogrammetry data.

tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

You can do this actually under the display menu: display -> wireframe color...

From there, swap over to RGB and pick any color that works.  

If that's not enough (which should be ok), you can also go under Display -> polygons -> custom polygon display and really go to town with a variety of options. (Try soft/hard for example to get dotted lines)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope,  it's not the same at all. If you don't see the difference, I invite you to work with a dense mesh in Maya. 

This is not hard to implement,  it's already there when using the sculpting tools, because it's critical to see that when you're trying to look at both shapes and wireframe. 

tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

From left to right, Black wireframe, gray wireframe (not any better), 25% transparent wirframe

wireframe.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting Image jpasserin. I'm curious to know if you put a image in the back ground will you see it? Or you just changed the wireframe color.

ppiche
Participant

WireframeOpacity.jpg

Here is an example of Softimage.

We are looking for a similar feature in Maya.

- It would be good if it could be a viewport display mode and not have to add a material or set hold out to every objects.

- Wireframe opactity is the main aspect missing at the moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks ppiche. That's exactly what we need in Maya to help us with film plates. The modeling and Tracking department would be very happy with the wireframe opacity option in Maya.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is also a screengrab from softimage. 

This is so useful. We recreated it using a custom locator in Maya, works like a charm but it's super slow and we can't find how to make it faster. But it should really just be an option of the maya viewport. 

You can already see that it's implemented when using the sculpting tools. It's just not available outside of it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish there were also depth sorting with wireframes both for wireframes on surface and in wireframe only. Meaning sort of a Zdepth for the color or lines so they would fade/darken as it goes back in space. It would make it SO much easier to pick out objects that are stacked in your view instead of what it is now just lines, upon lines, upon lines.

I also have a wireframe idea that some of you might like:

Better Wireframe view- fade effect on back of the model (Blender viewport alike)

NateLikesTea
Advocate

I can't agree more with jpasserin-- have an option to change the opacity of the wireframe, as he so excellently demonstrates in that earlier comparison image.  Cheers mate

NateLikesTea
Advocate

Just to belabor this point further-- Maya already has the functionality in the Sculpt tool, under Sculpt (tool options) > Display (dropdown) > Wireframe Display > Alpha

... If we could just have that available outside of the Sculpt tool, that'd be a home run

so its already there, ****. Maya viewport overlays controls are so insufficient

trevor.adams
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report