Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support 4k monitor (known UI BUG) in combination with lower resolution display / two different monitors

Support 4k monitor (known UI BUG) in combination with lower resolution display / two different monitors

Since long time I'm using a 27" and a 4k display. Every other software can handle this (I'm using more than 20 softwares). Only Autodesk Maya and 3dsMax are not able to handle this.

What happens:

Menu items (drop down menus) open outside of screen space (= invisible) or with extreme high scale and cropped at completely wrong position - as soon as any panel is placed the second screen.

I had that discussion already at the 3dsMax section. There is no solution, it just took hours and hours of testing (environment variables, common settings, display settings...).

I have always to minimize or close all windows on the 4k screen.

cropped menu, not readable. others were even invisiblecropped menu, not readable. others were even invisiblecropped menu, even not responsive for mouse. unusablecropped menu, even not responsive for mouse. unusable

Maybe maybe this seems worth to have a look after years... I know other have reported this as well.

6 Comments
BenediZ
Collaborator

Minimized windows look all the same, no name, no iconMinimized windows look all the same, no name, no icon

And when windows then were minimized in order to be able to work then (or anytime just to have them ready)

there is now way to see, which window is which

render window? curve editor? hypershade? second viewport window? attributes?

lucericr
Autodesk

Most of us in the development team have two monitors, with one being a 4k monitor and the other one not, so I'm a bit baffled by your screenshot. The "Deform" menu is too long, but it should be wrapped to a second column where there is no space at the bottom.  At least, it does here in my current setup. That said, there can be issues.

Maya supports high DPI monitor, but it doesn't support mixed DPI, which means that the fonts will either be right for one monitor, or the other.  Very few applications support mixed DPI and in fact most applications do not support 4K natively. In that case, Windows actually scale up the application, so they appear the same on both monitor, but then you do not benefit from the higher resolution of your 4k monitor. So we have kind of a tradeoff here in Maya, one goes away as more people go completely 4k.  

We might do some work in this area in the future. Mac OS X handles this better and mixed monitors DPI works without issues with Maya on the Mac.   

BenediZ
Collaborator
Another issue I have, is that after short time on the second screen the windows always maximize. I only can minimize them or have them fullscreen. The medium size (window) button does not change this, they still keep sticky at the monitor borders. This leads to a 4k display fully covered with the hypershade, which is of course not the purpose of a big screen and is hiding view on other opened documents in the background. I have used now the workaround which I described in the 3dsMax forum section, to switch off high-dpi-resolution for Maya and Max, but keep it for the other softwares. It means I am currently not using different resolutions, the Typo is now very small on the 4k display. The issue above is happening independently from resolution.
BenediZ
Collaborator

I found now a UI Bug especially with the Hypershade panel in Maya 2020.3

It only provides the window size modes "Maximize" (using the full screen space) or "Minimize" (which makes it invisible to a tab)

The important standard panel size mode (with customizable size) is the same as "Maximize".

All other windows (at least those which I'm using like Graph Editor) work as expected.

The result is, that the window seems to be sticky but it is just still the "maximize" panel mode.

EDIT: I will run a check with "default preferences" here.

Hypershade panel: This mode is the same as "maximize"Hypershade panel: This mode is the same as "maximize"

BenediZ
Collaborator

As a follow-up: resetting preferences solved fortunately the "maximize" button problem.

(It did of course not change the basic problem with different sizes on different monitors)

Just as an information:

I changed yesterday the main monitor now being the 4K monitor.

Maya UI Prefs need then to be set on "Do not scale", in order still have standard size on the 27" and down-scaled size on the 4k monitor

(otherwise you would have then standard size on the 4k, but an extremely magnified view on the 27")

Preferences Maya Monitor do not scale.jpg

lucericr
Autodesk

right, I was going to suggesting resetting preferences, but I forgot to get back to it.  There should be another way, though:

The last positions that windows were opened in is actually saved in Workspaces. At the top right of the Maya UI, there is a dropdown with the label "Workspaces : " .   If there is a *, then the workspace was modified.  In the dropdown, you can pick "Reset Current Workspace" and this would normally reset the hypershade's default size to default and solve your maximized issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report