Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stripped down Maya for indie game artists

Stripped down Maya for indie game artists

The current version of Maya is not worth its cut. My student license ends next year and the price for indie is too high to justify paying for what Maya handles for game artists. With the restrictions on the student license, I can't use my current license either way. I would use Maya too much to use Maya Creative and Maya LT no longer exists. I would pay a lower fee, at most half of the current indie license model, for Maya with only these features;

• Poly Modeling
  • UVing
  • Retopology
  • Rigging
  • Animation
  • OBJ and FBX exporting and the FBX game exporter
  • Ability to use add-ons related to useable functions

To be clear, these, and other features, could be removed;

• Rendering (Basic or Arnold)
  • Sculpting
  • Bitfrost
  • FX
  • MASH
  • XGen

In order to be willing to pay the indie license, I would need to see these changes:

• Viewport brought to modern standards, no bugging with clip planes at a distance
  • Sculpting system competitive with at least Nomad Sculpt
  • Batch rendering with Arnold included
  • Fixes for anything that requires fully resetting preferences, such as the bug with the greyed out poly model shelf. Individual tool resetting bugs are somewhat understandable, but should be a priority as well.

Currently, Maya is advertised as a all-in-one multitool that beats all competitors with ease and is priced as such. Less than half my process can be done in Maya. I am shifting toward a iPad hybrid workflow as programs like Uniform, Cozyblanket, and Nomad Sculpt have impressed me greatly. Each program has one developer behind them. I already render any images or animations using Unreal Engine. The last step for me is to learn a software that replaces the remaining tools in my first list. I hope Autodesk will see the issue with their students and regulars gravitating toward alternatives and provide some form of solution. With current trends, Maya will not survive the next decade.

Truthfully, I think the best approach for Autodesk would be to adopt the popular "free for individuals making less than x amount" model. Blender's large, helpful, community is a large pull. Autodesk could reap this benefit with a free version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report