Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Box attribute noise

Channel Box attribute noise

I've seen this implemented in some way in most studios I've worked at, but it really should be properly implemented in Maya. It's very useful when adding shake to cameras, or making objects vibrate procedurally. Ideally one would retain easy access to the original clean animation curves, but then have some kind of modifier with procedural noise amplitude and frequency settings that could be animated or disabled.

This can be done manually in many different ways, but it's time consuming.

This script kind of does it, but it doesn't support animated channels, and it kind of makes the channel box very messy with all those added attributes.

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/dinonoiseit-for-maya

It would be great if we could have some sort of noise/shake node created for every selected channel box attribute, with amplitude and frequency attributes for each channel, accessible from either the channel box or the attribute editor (like a non linear deformer node).

In Blackmagic Fusion for instance, one can add modifiers to any attribute, which then show in the modifiers tab (screenshot attached).

Something like this would be amazing to have in Maya.

Thanks!

7 Comments
brunoVH4VC
Participant
tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

We've added dash scripting to achieve this.  Alt + right click in the channel box and you can use simple commands like rand(1,5) to set a random number between 1-5. 

You can find more info here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Maya/fil...

brunoVH4VC
Participant

Unless I’m missing something, that’s not what I was suggesting at all...

It doesn’t look like that would allow me to easily add noise on top of an already animated curve, as an editable modifier. 

It would also be great if it used a more intuitive approach, without the need for scripting, as in the example I provided.

tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

My mistake, I read the topic heading too quickly.

You're absolutely right, having an animation layer of noise would be cool & something we've talked about.

Dash doesn't do that, it's more for statically entering stuff.

I'll keep this open so we can have more discussion & gather more input & ideas.

For what it's worth, you can do some of what you're talking about using our mash features but that's a convoluted way to get to what you're describing and we could definitely do a bunch around making a better, more specific workflow.

BenediZ
Collaborator

Just found myself in the same problem trapped (while working on an example scene, where I'm trying to involve all "basic elements" of animation).

So I builded large node trees to achieve something simple like the shaking of objects and camera.

Dinonoiseit is also just a workaround (not possible to use on animation layers and not intuitive).

Also it should be possible to have one "noise" randomization controlling more than one attribute,

for example X, Y and Z translation.

MASH is the right approach, but it's no help for adding quickly an attribute to some parameters.

Great would be something similar non-destructive for small tasks on selected attributes... 🙂

tj.galda
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

leecaste
Enthusiast

So has this been implemented already?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report