Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGen Interactive Groom - move and edit guides

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
meatwad_hunger
6460 Views, 7 Replies

XGen Interactive Groom - move and edit guides

Hi everyone, I'm trying for the first time the new  Xgen Interactive Groom, it seems very nice but  is there a way to move guides? like the core xgen,  for example if I place a guide and later I want to move it to another part of the scalp.  the only thing for now that I found is remove and place another and start again.

thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi @meatwad_hunger and welcome to the community!

You should be able to move them by selecting the add/move guides tool.

To do this:

1. In the XGen Editor, select this icon to activate the Add/ Move Guides tool.
  2. Press Ctrl + select a guide, and then drag the guide to the desired location.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 8

Thanks for answering, but that tool works with the "Old Xgen"  it doesn't work with Interactive Groom

Like the pic below, I wanted to move up those guidesxg.png

Message 4 of 8

Hi @meatwad_hunger

Ah ok, if you're using Interactive Groom they won't move because the guides are based on what faces/curves were selected when making the groom.

You can however comb them and change their direction etc.

This actually has a great video and breakdown on Interactive Groom and how to get started/begin adva...

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 5 of 8
jewboy0117
in reply to: sean.heasley

This is not answering his question. It sounds like they want to modify the position of the guides that are created by curves that were used to create them. To add to this, is it possible to plant more guides if the user had started off building the groom with curves? So far, I am not able to do this with interactive groom.

Message 6 of 8
shanezwicker
in reply to: jewboy0117

Yes, exactly.. I am getting this error that two of my guides are too close, I have managed to find the exact two guides that it's talking about, but with no way to move or delete the guides, this would mean having to start from the curves all over again in order to fix this error (and I had to resize/move a lot of the curves previously in order to perfect this shape, and I didn't save any of that..)...  For the record, the guides are close on the faces, so no amount of combing will fix this..

Message 7 of 8

It won't work unless you create/move brush ain't big enough. Further your object from point of origin is, bigger your brush size should be. If you have your head approximately on the human scale height your brush size should be ridiculously big. Also you should change your scene from Inch to CM. Xgen works only in CM units

Message 8 of 8
kenji_kawabata
in reply to: jewboy0117

There's no way to move guides directly like normal xgen function. But you can move hair splines directly instead, and yes it makes dislocate between guides and splines, but if you could be done 80% of your work by guides, then you can get away from it, and polishing up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report