Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xgen error: Group23296.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
Anonymous
40837 Views, 33 Replies

Xgen error: Group23296.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)

Hi guys could someone help me please? im getting this error in xgen and I don't know how to go about it?

C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/plug-ins/xgen/presets/description/groom/region/Group23296.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)

It happens when I try to create groomable splines on imported geometry.

and another error im getting is this: // Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/xgmGuide.mel line 238: The associated guide ARM_RIGHT_SARM1_xgGuide5 does not exist. //

I get this error when I use guides as curves. Every time I try to modify it I get this error.

I was trying to look online for some solutions but I cant seem to find any answers.

SO please if anyone knows how to fix this I would be grateful.

thank you

Tags (1)
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
Michael_Todd
in reply to: Anonymous

it looks to be a pathing issue. XGen can't seem to find the files it needs. You can set an absolute path in the XGen File path:

editfilepath.png

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Hey Michael I'm having the exact same issue, but the edit file path isn't working for me.

Message 4 of 34
neuberl

I am getting the same issue and what I have noticed is when I go to my project folder, the xgen folder is not there and not being created. I tried creating one myself along with a collections folder but still no luck. Then I set the project to the default since it had an xgen folder and it created my description and collection but then I get errors saying

// Error: XGen:  Failed to find /Users/Larry/Documents/Documents/Maya Projects/xgenTest/xgen/region/pSphere1.ptx  //
// Error: XGen:  Searched path includes:
                 /Users/Larry/Documents/Documents/Maya Projects/xgenTest/xgen/region/pSphere1.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
                 /Users/Larry/Documents/Documents/Maya Projects/xgenTest/xgen/region/pSphere1.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
                 /Users/Larry/Documents/Documents/Maya Projects/xgenTest/xgen/region/pSphere1.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)  //

So I again looked and there was no region folder. I tried to create one and still no luck.

I am at a loss on how to get xgen to work for me.

Message 5 of 34
Michael_Todd
in reply to: neuberl

you seem to have a space in your project path. Names with spaces in them can fail to resolve.

Maya Projects would  be better named Maya_Projects.

Cheers

Michael Todd

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous

Hi Michael,

I have been running into a similar issue and wonder if you can walk me through defining an absolute path (if that is indeed my problem). 

Here is the error that I have been getting:

// Error: line 1: XGen: Searched path includes:
/Users/jtpietz/Desktop/MDA Working/1150504_3D Virtual Female/Angie_Anderson/xgen/collections/XGen_Angie_longhair_collection/XGen_Angie_longhair/Clumping1/Maps/Skull_cap.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
/Users/jtpietz/xgen/XGen_Angie_longhair/Clumping1/Maps/Skull_cap.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
/Applications/Autodesk/maya2016.5/plug-ins/xgen/presets/XGen_Angie_longhair/Clumping1/Maps/Skull_cap.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist) //

I assume it is looking for "Skull_cap.ptx" but isn't able to find it. When I go and look manually for it in the project xgen folder that file doesn't even exist. As far as I can tell the pathing is correct. Ugh, what frustrating bug. 

Jordan

Message 7 of 34
Michael_Todd

1150504_3D Virtual Female/Angie_Anderson has spaces in the name....

The path is failing to resolve due to the spaces.

I'm not sure using an absolute path will help in this case, but it doesn't hurt to go over it..

Open the file path editor

FilePathEdit.png

By Default, the path is relative (${PROJECT}xgen/collection/YourCollectionName

You can add an absolute path after a ; to separate the two, or replace the relative path. You can have both though, so it doesn't hurt to keep the relative path. Xgen will look to each location in the list (you can have more than two) till it either finds the files or fails.

FilePath.png

In your case, the spaces in the path will probably still cause issues even with an absolute path, though. Also, be aware that whilst  XGen can handle both / and \ in paths, some operating systems can't

Cheers

Michael Todd

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous

Thanks for the response! I will add underscores to the spaces and see if that helps. 

I am a little confused though, because when I set this project, I set the project folder as  "Angie_Anderson" which doesn't have any spaces and, since the path is relative, shouldn't look higher up the directory. At least, that was my assumption. 

Message 9 of 34
Michael_Todd

The full path to the project will still include the higher level directories, and if they have spaces in the names, Maya will have issues. As a general rule, spaces in folder and file names are not recommended.

Michael Todd

Message 10 of 34
Anonymous

I still don't understand the solution to this problem...Im getting the same erros and I have no spaces whatsoever. Also when I try to mirror my hair it goes crazy...

Message 11 of 34
Anonymous

This is whats happenngerror2.pngerror.png

Message 12 of 34
Anonymous

@Anonymous

I eventually found out that the problem was files outside of my project folder had spaces in them, as soon as I corrected that, things started working. 

Might I suggest putting an underscore in your "program files" folder? That might do the trick. 

Message 13 of 34
mspeer

Hi!

"Might I suggest putting an underscore in your "program files" folder"

Never change the name of system folders like "program files".

Instead save/move project files outside to a manual created folder where you have full access.

And yes, it's a good advice to save all files in the related project folder.

Message 14 of 34
Michael_Todd
in reply to: mspeer

as mspeer notes, it's not a good idea to have project directories in the Maya install location. By default, Maya sets up Projects in the Users/Documents/ directory, so move your projects there and then point Maya to that project location.

Cheers

Michael Todd

Message 15 of 34
Anonymous

I'm having the same problem, I created a new project folder and all the names are correct, I'm still having this issue. 

// Error: XGen: Failed to find Cube_prim.png //
// Error: XGen: Searched path includes:
D:/VFX_MASTER/Summer_Term_2017/Xgen_Planets/xgen/collections/Planet_collection/Cube_prim.png (Part of path doesn't exist)
C:/Users/Emma/Documents/xgen/Cube_prim.png (Part of path doesn't exist)
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/plug-ins/xgen/presets/Cube_prim.png (Part of path doesn't exist) //

I tried adding the cube_prim.xarc to all those directories and it didn't work. I noticed that maya is looking for a png file and my folder only has the xarc. I changed the extension but it didn't work. what do you think I should do. 

Thanks, 

Emma. 

Message 16 of 34
Michael_Todd

This error:

// Error: XGen: Failed to find Cube_prim.png //
// Error: XGen: Searched path includes:
D:/VFX_MASTER/Summer_Term_2017/Xgen_Planets/xgen/collections/Planet_collection/Cube_prim.png (Part of path doesn't exist)
C:/Users/Emma/Documents/xgen/Cube_prim.png (Part of path doesn't exist)
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/plug-ins/xgen/presets/Cube_prim.png (Part of path doesn't exist) //

is merely down to the fact that XGen is expecting a thumbnail for the archive object and as there isn't one, you get this thrown up.  The error is harmless and not having a thumbnail will not affect the archive object at all. To prevent this error, edit the archive object and delete the thumbnail name to prevent XGen from looking for it, or make a thumbnail and add the path to it and save the scene.

EditArchive.pngEditArchive2.png

Michael Todd

Message 17 of 34
Anonymous

Thank you very much, Michael!!! 

Emma. 

Message 18 of 34
Anonymous

worked for me.... error message gone..... Thnx 

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous

This error pops up when I try to paint the mask for a hairline---------// Error: XGen: Searched path includes:
D:/Users/Sam/Documents/maya/projects/default/xgen/collections/HAIR_TEST/HAIR_TESTING/paintmaps/TESTING_MASK/scalp.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
D:/Users/Sam/Documents/xgen/HAIR_TESTING/paintmaps/TESTING_MASK/scalp.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/presets/HAIR_TESTING/paintmaps/TESTING_MASK/scalp.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)

Message 20 of 34
Anonymous

This error pops up when I try to paint the mask for a hairline---------// Error: XGen: Searched path includes:
D:/Users/Sam/Documents/maya/projects/default/xgen/collections/HAIR_TEST/HAIR_TESTING/paintmaps/TESTING_MASK/scalp.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
D:/Users/Sam/Documents/xgen/HAIR_TESTING/paintmaps/TESTING_MASK/scalp.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/presets/HAIR_TESTING/paintmaps/TESTING_MASK/scalp.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report