Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xgen bugs

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
4588 Views, 24 Replies

Xgen bugs

Hello,

I am working with Xgen and have thoroughly enjoyed the process of working with hair, but have encountered so many issues that I don't know if they are repairable. If anyone has advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I have had unfortunate luck with finding any communication on forums for the issues I have encountered. If this is the wrong place, please direct me.

Prior to all of my problems, this is the groom for my character (wip):

character.png

Needs a lot of work, but it has been a great experience. However, as of two days ago these issues started happening:

1. I am no longer able to render in my render view. In my script editor after clicking render or refreshing an IPR it states: "Exporting Xgen Collections . . . Done"renderingIssue.png

2. My groomable splines are now 'exploding' as I preview the description and the often crash. I have attached an image for visual explanation:exploding.png

Although I enjoy glitch art, this is my nightmare. It seems to be my modifiers that have gone haywire. As I begin to hide them there is a visual difference in the Kandinsky painting I receive.

My set up for the hair has been two collections:

Scalp: overall hair (groomable spline), groom (spline), stragglers (spline)

Eyebrow: overall (groomable spline), groom (spline)

I have been having issues for several days now - last night it was working - today is a different case. I believe all of my issues started occuring when either:

A- I added the second groomable spline description to the eyebrow collection.

B- I redirected the grooming auto export to the desktop on accident. I have since reconnected it to the project file.

C- I created a new project folder and copy/paste the scene and xgen collection, and copy/paste the xgen folder. I was working on a network rather than my direct drive and was curious if my system was lagging.

I have officially hit my wall of tolerance with Xgen and am sending out my SOS. Please help with any information.

Thank you,

Justin

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Looks like the SeExpr built-in functions are all pure functions with no external data access. It should be implemented by the aplication embedding seExpr.
https://github.com/wdas/SeExpr/issues/3#issuecomment-3780466

Thanks anyway.

The thing is that we're producing a movie where an animal have it's face painted and we need a way to use a sequence of ptx for the fur color. Is there any way to achieve this via seExpr that you could come up? Maya crashes every time i hit render when a file node with a ptx sequence is applied to a xgen description.

Thanks again,

Jorge.
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Following the help text inside the expression window i came up with this expression:

$a = map( "C:/path/to/folder/test.${PAL,myCycle}.ptx");\n$a

where myCycle is a simple cycle($frame,1,40) to enumerate my frame range. This seems to work partially as it finds the first map (with errors), but always throws the following error:

// Error: line 1: XGen:  Failed to open C:/path/to/folder/test.0040.ptx.
             Error: Can't open ptex file: C:/path/to/folder/test.0040.ptx
No such file or directory  //
// Error: line 1: XGen:  Failed to open .
             Error: Can't open ptex file:
No such file or directory  //
             Error: Can't open ptex file:
Invalid argument  //
             Error:   //

I can't get through it because it looks like it finds the file correctly but for whatever reason fails to open it

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous

if i change my custom expression myCycle to:

$a = $frame;
$a

to enumerate the frame range, it seems to work with errors if i play the range, but renders fine.

Thanks Michael.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous

the above example only works for colors, not for driving attributes. For that you could use this other expression:

if($frame == 1) { $a= map( 'C:/path/to/folder/test_0001.ptx'); }
else if($frame == 2) {$a=map( 'C:/path/to/folder/test_0002.ptx'); }
else if($frame == 40) {$a=map( 'C:/path/to/folder/test_0040.ptx'); }

$a

Quite a PITA if you have a lot of frames, but this works for any attribute.

Cheers

Message 25 of 25
Anonymous

Hi Justin,

I see you posted exactly the problem Im having regarding rendering archives on the farm. Did you manage to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated. 

Regards

Faghrie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report