Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will maya ever support GLB / GLTF import?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Craig_Lamorte
5381 Views, 18 Replies

will maya ever support GLB / GLTF import?

Are there plans at all for maya to support importing glb / gltf?  Has it been introduced in maya 2024?

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
p.toomey
in reply to: Craig_Lamorte

I'm also curious about this as the Babylon exporter is no longer supported

Message 3 of 19

Hi @Craig_Lamorte and @p.toomey ,

while I'm not aware of any larger initiatives around supporting gLTF import, I would highlight the important work that the team is doing around open standards and USD workflows, especially Lookdev X expanding toolset, check it out here.

If you are really in need of gLTF import specifically, I did find this older importer on Github here, but please use it at your own discretion, as I haven't tested its functionality. At the very least you can use this project as a jumping-off point maybe? The only other thing I found was this paid plugin 😕 

I have reached out to the dev team to see if I can get you any additional info! Warm regards, 

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 4 of 19
p.toomey

Hey Hagen,

there is a plug in for Maya that is pretty usable:
Export Maya scene as glTF | Babylon.js Documentation (babylonjs.com)

But it has recently stopped being supported specifically because Autodest said they are working on an importer exporter.

is there anywhere we can vote for this as a priority?

Message 5 of 19
moiamy

as Gltf becomes popular in web development, it seems unlikely that Autodesk will ignore this issue...

Message 6 of 19
slimboJoe
in reply to: p.toomey

The BabylonJS exporter works well in Maya 2024. You need to do a manual install but it's really straightforward & easy. I've been using it without any issues for a few weeks now.

Message 7 of 19
p.toomey

the Babylon exporter is really good, It's not perfect though there are some bugs when trying to export multiple meshes with morphs and animation groups.

Adding animation groups disables all but one morph - Bugs - Babylon.js (babylonjs.com) 

There is a work around, but it would be nice to just have native Maya Max exporting. 

Message 8 of 19

I really hope that Autodesk maya can have the function of importing and exporting gltf/glb files, although there are  many plug-ins, but there is no very convenient and good way to export, I have inquired other 3D software, 3ds max, c4d, blander can support gltf/glb format files.  Even if there is no function of importing gltf, adding one that can be exported can also, thank you very much for the official can see this information, and can support it, thank you very much 

Message 9 of 19
in reply to: hagen.deloss

I really hope that Autodesk maya can have the function of importing and exporting gltf/glb files, although there are  many plug-ins, but there is no very convenient and good way to export, I have inquired other 3D software, 3ds max, c4d, blander can support gltf/glb format files.  Even if there is no function of importing gltf, adding one that can be exported can also, thank you very much for the official can see this information, and can support it, thank you very much 
Message 10 of 19

Share some related plugins, maya can export gltf/glb:  

1, for Windows & MAC:

(1)substance Printer (gltf/glb format, personally tested the exported model material and map, did not test the animation);  

(2)verge3D (Model Materials and Animations)  this plugin personally encountered some content that was not fully exported, such as complex animations, but material and map;  

(3)SimLab (https://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-plugins/gltf-from-maya-main.aspx) has a free trial period, you need to refer to its export specification file for details;

(4)Matiascodesal/Maya - glTF (https://github.com/matiascodesal/maya-glTF);  

2, for Windows: the most used in Maya is Babylon, js (https://doc.babylonjs.com/features/featuresDeepDive/Exporters/Maya) supporting relatively high, export time slightly long point,  

I hope the above can help the relevant partners. 

Message 11 of 19
slimboJoe
in reply to: slimboJoe

The BabylonJS exporter works fine for geometry, but Maya 2024 has changed the way skinClusters are used. Maya now allows for multiple skin clusters, so the BabylonJS exporter no longer outputs skinned geometry. There are new node connections that keep the old exporter from working as intended.

Autodesk should have made a way to use the previous SINGLE skincluster assignments, like a legacy switch. Skinned models are no longer backward compatible in Maya versions as well. This was not well thought out.

Message 12 of 19
brentmc
in reply to: slimboJoe

Hi,

If you set MAYA_MULTI_SKIN_CLUSTER environment variable to 0 it will disable the creation of multiple skin clusters.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-FC154DF1-CC21-4DBF-9FAC-19FDE6DCBC9A

I'm not aware of any changes to the node connections in the case of a single skin cluster. Can you elaborate?

Thanks.

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 13 of 19
slimboJoe
in reply to: brentmc

Thanks for the environment variable tip! I'm going to try this out since I have animated something in 2024 that needs output to glTF.

It's been few months since I touched this, so I cannot elaborate on the skin cluster issue. I just remember that skins are not backward compatible even if only one skin cluster is created. I'll give the EV solution a test and report back this week.

Message 14 of 19

👍this so much

Message 15 of 19
mypaypal
in reply to: moiamy

Oldish chat but there is no reason for Maya to support it as Maya is used more for higher quality Movie renders. For gaming and web development 3D Max is used. 3D Max supports importing and exporting GLTF files for that reason. If you have an Autodesk Subscription then you should be able to install 3D Max. Horses for courses.

Message 16 of 19
p.toomey

@mypaypal as far as I'm aware 3ds max can export static meshes natively. This discussion is about exporting animations, how are you exporting animations from 3dsmax without plugins?

Message 17 of 19
nickEL2MR
in reply to: mypaypal

You can't be serious? Maya is literally the #1 tool used in the gaming industry, BY FAR.

Message 18 of 19
in reply to: nickEL2MR

:)hahahahahaha
I want think so
Message 19 of 19
SequenzGmbH
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Hi @hagen.deloss,

did you ever get some more info from the dev team about that topic? Still a lot of people are appalled by the fact that there is no native glTF exporter from AD in Maya 2024 and 2025.

TIA for an update.

Lars

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report