Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
295 Views, 6 Replies

Where do I start?

I am a person who is interested in computer animation and about a year ago I found out about Maya and really got hooked. Now I really want to get serious and start doing something. Can anyone tell me were I need to start . For example, what training books or websites do you recommend for a newbie. I have no experience so I need to start from the ground up. I am going to Regent University in the spring of 2008 and getting my degree in Film and Televsion with a minor in Animation and they use Maya. I just would like to get ahead and teach myself before I go to school. If anyone can help me that would be great.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Follow this link:

thegnomonworkshop

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Then select "by software tools" on top menu then "maya" (if that is your preference)

There is some free stuff, but watching someone work is usually the easiest way
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

In your opinion are the DVD tut better than the books. What version of Maya does the DVD go over? Where can I get the Maya software for beginners not the full blown version that cost an arm and a leg.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

well, the personal learning edition is free and as a student you already get an educational price on both versions of maya. In all honesty, I have not stumbled across a bad book or dvd. Really, they are all pretty good. Digital Tutors, Autodesk Learning Tools, Gnomon, but you can learn just by doing small little experiments, concentrating on one aspect or another. Just have fun, cause college will throw enough hoops for you to jump thru.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I learn better by watching others in action

Recently I wanted to learn Flash so I went to Lynda.com web site and paid 25$ for month of vid training - they cover many pieces of software and you just watch the stream - they probably dont have Maya training but they do have max (and its basic stuff not very good)

Brushed up on new CS3 Dreamweaver, After Effects etc... quick way to learn - A book you can take to the "thinking room" though, so up to you - I like the Gnomon Workshop vids and they probably have the most updated - the link should tell you what the vid covers - most Maya stuff rarely changes year to year interface has staid pretty much the same other then a few renames and moves

If you get the learning edition of Maya 2008 then look for 2008 vids - they might be awhile for those but perhaps the maya 8.5 vids are discounted now
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

So do I need to get Autodesk 3ds Max also? Whats the difference between them?
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

No pick one or the other to learn they do the same thing. The book stores Borders/Barnes n Noble have tons of Maya or Max learning books as well.

I know them both but I've been doing this for 14 years so it wasn't hard to absorb another package. For new people learning both would just be confusing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report