Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UVs keep disappearing 2017

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
damaggio
13729 Views, 47 Replies

UVs keep disappearing 2017

They continue to vanish even with fresh prefs, it happens randomly from scene to scene, you can still select them and rotate etc but you cannot see anything, fresh created objects in the scene display proper UVs but not older objects, creating a new projection does not show uvs.

Also the soft selection is activated sometimes doing a projection or selecting faces, edges and verts....really annoying.

Everything is up to date, I have filled a Bug report just now.

Windows 7 2017 dual Titan Zs.

Time is overdue for SP2.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
cornelh
in reply to: damaggio

@damaggio

Hey man thanks for bringing this to our attention and for also reporting a bug on this.  I will make sure your voice gets heard and hopefully this can make the cut for Update 2.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving  (muito obrigado pela informacao!)

Do you have any repro steps: or  is this just crazy random at no given time:  can you make a video for it if you have not already.  can you also PM me the defect log ID you created so I can get this escalated.  Thanks

Message 3 of 48
damaggio
in reply to: cornelh

Thanks Housein, as you can see there are other members getting the same issue...piripaque as you once said.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-modeling/uv-editor-not-displaying-uvs/td-p/6701459

Dear Rodolfo Damaggio,

We're following up on your support request to let you know we created the case below:

Case 12382465 - UVs keep disappearing 2017

I'm afraid this cannot  be replicated, there's no warning messages.

Today I have installed VRay on my 2016 and I'm no longer using 2017 because there are just too many bugs and I'm trying to see if they appear in 2016 with the same file,(wanna make sure is not hardware related).... is a big one of a circus fairground and when the UVs don't show up I have to restart Maya and this file takes a while to save and load.

This also happens in other files though , nevertheless I'm checking the behavior in 2016.

Thanks a bunch.

Message 4 of 48
cornelh

@damaggio

Hey man I wanted to know how thing are going with your file?  Are you getting similar issues with 2016?  BTW we released Update 2 for Maya 2017!  Please let me know if you need anymore help with this (sorry for my delay, as I took a few days off for Thanksgiving, hope you had a great Turkey day as well!)  

I look forward to your reply,

Cheers

Message 5 of 48
damaggio
in reply to: cornelh

Hi Housein, I was off for a week during the past holiday , I've been on 2016 Ext 1 SP6 and did not see the UVs disappearing, still working with the same file, however I feel it hasn't been that long yet so maybe another week of testing.

I'll give you another updated  next week.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 48
Anonymous

I am having the exact same problem. Maya 2017 update 1. Any ideas would be very very welcome!

Message 7 of 48
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

If you want to help to sort this out, please report your system specs (graphic card, driver version,OS , Maya Version?).

Does anything run in the background or parallel that makes use of the GPU?

Message 8 of 48
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Sure thing:

Windows 10

Geforce GTX 970 with 372.90 drivers

Maya 2017 Update 1 (about to try update 2, as soon as it finishes installing)

Lots use the GPU at the same time... at the minimum:

Maya

Photoshop

Unreal Editor

Substance Painter

Not all objects are missing UVs. Some show up properly.

And when I select by UVs on an object that is not displaying the UVs in the UV Editor, I can still select the invisible vertices and move them around. So the UVs exist, they are just not displaying in the editor.

Message 9 of 48
Anonymous

I've seen this a lot in Maya 2017. One thing I've noticed is that if you zoom far out in the UV editor the UV layout will invariably reappear. Zoom in again to a usable level and they'll vanish.

Message 10 of 48
Anonymous

I'm having this issue as well, I got the latest Maya 2017 installed, and my graphic card is up to date, no other software opened.

I seem to be able to select my uvs thru the uv editor even thou they are not visible. When I hover my cursor over the object's uv mode in the viewport, the uv editor highlights the uv point in red, see screenshot.

Capture.PNG

my graphic card is AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series.

Message 11 of 48
Anonymous

Ok, I've done some more digging into what the problem seems to be related to.

It's a mess to be honest. Somehow, Autodesk have got the UV editor viewport linked to the Transformation matrices of the meshes, or the polygon positions in World Space.

The problems seem to arise for us when using Shaderfx materials.

In such an example if you create a polygon box and apply a Shaderfx material then the UV editor will be fine. However if you translate the box at least 20 units from the world origin in X or Z then the UV wireframe will vanish from the UV Editor. The closer to the origin that you move the box, the less "zoomed" out in the UV editor you'll need to be to see the UVs!

If your mesh polygons are a long way from the origin, and the transform is frozen, then moving the polygons over the origin will probably make the UVs reappear.

In conclusion, it's a big mess, and I really do hope that Autodesk read these forums to fix this issue.

Message 12 of 48
mspeer

Hi!

Please add this information with the observed dependency on translation to a bug report to Autodesk.
Help -> Speak Back -> Report a Problem

Message 13 of 48
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Done, with attached example file.

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous

Unfortunately Maya 2017 Update 3 doesn't fix the issues, although ridiculously they've redesigned the UV editor!

Message 15 of 48
Anonymous

HI

I had this same issue after importing a scene from Max to Maya. The issue is in the UV sets, delete any extra ones on each mesh & name the only remaining ones as "map1". 

Anella

Tags (1)
Message 16 of 48
Anonymous

Unfortuntely that doesn't work in my cases. The shaderFX shader assignment seems bizarrely to be linked to the issue though.

Message 17 of 48
Anonymous

This is still happening in update 3.  Can't believe more crap are broken in update 3.  This is why I never wanted subscription.  The stupid updates breaks more stuff than fixing it.  Listen carefully.  STOP ADDING FEATURES AND FIX THE BUGS!!!

Message 18 of 48
Anonymous

I just downloaded patch #3, and the problem is still happening for me, as well:

When I re-open a 2017 Maya file that has more than one object in a scene, the UV Editor only displays UV's for the first object created.  The rest are hidden. The hidden UV's are still visible and select-able in the viewports, and apparently still editable in the UV Editor -- although that latter is useless if you can't see your shells.

Combining objects is one solution -- but what a pain.  The other solution is to go back to 2016.

Message 19 of 48
Anonymous

Does this only happen in files that were previously made in U2 and below? What happens if you reset prefs and start on a clean scene?
Message 20 of 48
Anonymous

Hey Mike,

Resetting the prefs helped!  

Now, I need to reset all my custom shelves... darn...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report