Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV editor in Maya very slow and laggy on new computer

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4571 Views, 8 Replies

UV editor in Maya very slow and laggy on new computer

Hi,
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help!

I have just finished building my new PC (specs below), and have found that the UV editor in any version of Maya is incredibly slow.

CPU: Intel i7-3830K Sandybridge 3.20ghz
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance (2x8gb)
Graphics: Gigabyte AMD (ati) Radeon HD 7950 3GB Gddr5
Hard Drive: 2x Corsair Force Series 3, 2.5" SSD Hard Drive 150gb
(windows experience index rating: 7.8)

I was hoping with the hard-earned money I spent on this machine nothing would be terribly slow due to inferior hardware.

Here is a video link showing the exact problem that I have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLAx_AaMh80.
Basically, whenever I select a sensible amount of UV's from the UV texture editor window it takes on average about 1 minute to select them. (can be up to 5 minutes if many are selected, while the same selection in the 3d viewfinder is still instant)
Opening the same scene on a 4 year old laptop (nvidia) and selecting the same number of UV's in its uv editor is instant though.
Also, selecting the uv's or vertexes in the main maya viewport is completely fine - just not much good at helping me select different shells.)

Heres what I have already tried (using suggestions from other threads and forums):

-deleted all history from everything ever,
-problem occurs in any scene - even a lambert1 polygon sphere in a brand new scene
-tried re-sizing mayas viewfinder, setting viewfinder to untextured, changing 3d viewfinder to 2d viewfinder focusing on nothing put empty space
-Re-installed maya 2012 (x64)
-installed maya's 2011 and 2010
-re-installed graphics driver
-installed amd 11.5 hotfix driver
-made sure motherboard driver is up to date
-put in my friends ATI radeon HD 6850 to test with its latest drivers
-installed maya on my friends ATI based computer with its latest drivers

all to no avail, its slow every time. (only works on my mega old nvidia based laptop)

On other forums people have said 'get an NVidia graphics card' but I just spent over £400 on this, and have no money left. Overclockers uk won't let me return it either.
(i chose the ATI graphics card instead of NVidia as it was the best performance for money whilst being future-proof, using the latest technology (it was only released last week).

I will try anything at all to get this working. Thanks in advance for reading all this and for any help you can provide.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
n8skow
in reply to: Anonymous

Windows 7 I assume?
A couple more suggestions to try:

Disable Aero
Roll-back to older video drivers
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Sounds like this Polycount forum.
Message 4 of 9
Rcollier12
in reply to: n8skow

I've upgraded to 2017 and I'm having these problems now, only I don't have a brand new computer.

I still have 2014 installed and actually opened it to edit UV's on the same model, selecting all the UV's at once and it worked wonderfully.

In Maya 2017 I select an entire body's UV's and Maya crashes.... I don't know what is going on here? Help!

As a side note, I'm noticing, in general, that Maya 2017 is a bit more laggy than 2014. This doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't it be better?

Message 5 of 9
timdan
in reply to: Rcollier12

I'm having a very similar issue, and can't find any solution for this. I really don't think UV Editor issues could be related to a graphics card issue. It's basically a 2D editor, right?

+ timdan

-
http://www.timdan.com
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Rcollier12

Deleting the geometry history sometimes can make the uv editor work faster

Message 7 of 9
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: timdan

The uv editor in Maya 2017  is openGl. Its using the Viewport 2.0 engine.

Two things you can do to make it faster is turning off symmetry.

And turning off the preselection highlighting.
Create shelf shortcut go get it back if you are done with the UVs.

global proc uvTkUpdateSelectionCompInfo()
{
  return;
}

selectPref -psh false;
global proc uvTkUpdateSelectionCompInfo()
{
  return;
}

selectPref -psh true;

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 8 of 9
Rcollier12

It's not that. I did delete history. I believe it's because my mesh is dense. But still, it shouldn't lag like this. Anyway, it's been a while and I've already decimated my mesh and unwrapped it. 

Message 9 of 9

Interesting. I'll give this a try next time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report