Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USD and Subdivision

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
teovfx
420 Views, 2 Replies

USD and Subdivision

Hello. I have a question about Maya USD. Apart from creating proxies, is it possible to add subdivision to a polymesh with the render engine? From what I've seen, I understand it's possible with Houdini, but is it achievable in Maya? Or does it work in the USD workflow with a high-poly and proxy approach? Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Tags (1)
Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hagen.deloss
in reply to: teovfx

Hi @teovfx ,

Thanks for bringing your USD question to the forums! I don't have a direct answer, but I will ask the dev team about it! For some light reading, here are the new release notes for Maya 2025 USD, and the getting started USD page as well.

I will keep this thread updated when I get some insight from the experts 😄 

Warm regards, 

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 3
bjorn.siegert
in reply to: teovfx

If I get this right, you are talking about the refinement level how subd meshes are rendered, correct? This is not supported through the Maya viewport render delegate used by mayaUSD. We did though add this recently to Hydra for Maya (https://github.com/Autodesk/maya-hydra/releases/tag/v0.6.1). If you are part of the beta forum you can test this with the latest PR of Maya or wait until it comes out with an update release of mayaUSD.

complexity.gif

Please do keep in mind that Hydra for Maya is still a technology preview and by no means production ready.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report