Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfold3d Process error

103 REPLIES 103
SOLVED
Message 1 of 104
Anonymous
45490 Views, 103 Replies

Unfold3d Process error

Hello

This error is occuring whenever i try to unwrap a slightly complex object like a face or body using the Unwrap or Optimize commands. This is a new computer and it is using a Ryzen 9 CPU if that makes any difference. Also a fresh install 

Things i have tried:

1. Disabling and re-enabling the unfold3d plugin

2. uninstalling and re-installing maya 2019

3. using maya 2018

4. shrinking the object so its smaller

5. unwrapping different objects from old projects that i have already successfully unwrapped in the past using unfold3d

6.unwrapping with Houdini or Blender (works!)

7. wrapping in zbrush (works!)

8. unwrapping using Maya 2019 on my work computer (works!)

9. reseting to default preferences.

So it appears to be some kind of system issue but i have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling maya several times. as well as registry cleaning/rebooting in between.

103 REPLIES 103
Message 41 of 104
jl8289
in reply to: Xaia

Confirming same issue. 

AMD Threadripper 3970x

Windows 10 Workstation
Maya 2020

Simpler pieces of geometry on the humanbody model work with no issue. 

Others, like the face, simply fail with the Process Error message.  

Message 42 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: jl8289

Same issue here on Ryzen 3950x, Maya 2020. Please Autodesk fix this. This is a key part of the unwrapping workflow! Huge blocker!

Message 43 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

forget Autodesk will ever fix this issue, they have 10 years old bugs still to fix shift to better software.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/02/autodesk-to-end-maintenance-plans-and-multi-user-subs/

Message 44 of 104
ChunkyDipper

I have takkes with Autodesk support and they estimate a fix within the next 6 months. Completely ridiculous considering how popular the ryzen cpu is. Come on Autodesk and fix this issue!

Message 45 of 104
T0M0X
in reply to: ChunkyDipper

Any plans for fixing this issue in Maya 2019 ? Some hotfix or so ? 

Message 46 of 104
ChunkyDipper
in reply to: T0M0X

They won’t tell because of legal reason in regards to Maya releases. I couldn’t get a more precise timeframe than “around six months”. If that is true, it’s a disgrace.

Message 47 of 104
roelQDG5J

Just ran into this issue too with a Ryzen 3900x. As I understand it the Unfold3D technology is licensed by Autodesk from a French company. I'm curious if this involvement of another company is adding to the delay of providing a fix for this issue.

Currently using the 'Legacy' option instead as a workaround.

Message 48 of 104
T0M0X
in reply to: roelQDG5J

What is really strange that somehow it works in some cases:

Create single default sphere and run Unfold - works

Duplicate the sphere few times (I made 72 copies) run UV - Automatic then run Unfold - works

Create single default sphere and subdivide it one time and run Unfold - doesn't work (// Error: Unfold3D process error.)

Create default torus (subdivision axis=20; subdivision height=20) and run Unfold - works

Now create another torus but change the axis subdivs to 40 and height subdivs to 30 and run Unfold -

doesn't work (// Error: Unfold3D process error.)

Please Autodesk fix this as soon as possible! Or release some hotfix.

Tested on Ryzen Threadripper 3970x, Win 10 x64 1909

Message 49 of 104
roelQDG5J

Yeah it works in some cases. I also came across the scenario where Unfold3D didn't work for a UV shell as a whole, but when selecting half the faces it did and also when selecting the other half (plus some overlap).

Message 50 of 104

The same geometry (manifold or not) works flawless on Intel processor and doesn't work on AMD. That is the problem Sir. And this is not some useless feature. I need to switch to another software in order to unwrap, and it makes me wonder why am I paying so much money whan I can't do a simple tasks like this.  

Message 51 of 104

Looks like that update 2020.1 was released, but quickly looking in release notes I don't see that this issue was fixed.

(please tell me I'm wrong and somebody tried and it's working in new version...)

Here are release notes:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2020/ENU/?guid=Maya_ReleaseNotes_2020_1_release_notes_html

Message 52 of 104
jmartinfr

You are not wrong ...   it's still not fixed ...   2020.1  Still has the unfold process error on Ryzen CPU .

SAD ! 

Message 53 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: jmartinfr

Yeah still busted on Ryzen. It seems to be that when unfolding past a certain number of vertices it kicks off a process that crashes. So you can use the unfold brush and keep the radius small and work on bunches of verts at a time, trying not to go past the "threshold" of verts. Not ideal at all.

Message 54 of 104
13freyr
in reply to: jmartinfr

Epic fail from autodesk, again. I think they like bankrupt now, or i just cant find explanation of their attitude to their customers. 

Message 55 of 104

You are not wrong TOMOX. Still not fixed, I have no words...

Message 56 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: goran.milovanovicLVTYC

It crashes about 571 uv per shell under that it work. I did a skript that unfolds left to right  and up down if it is over 571 . I use it per shell. AlsoI use GOZ for more complex  shapes and unwrap in Zbrush.
Here is the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctoBeEZnl-Y

proc unfoldITclassic(){
string $unfold[]=`ls -sl -fl`;
int $size=`size $unfold`;
if ($size>571){
unfold -i 5000 -ss 0.001 -gb 0 -gmb 0.5 -pub 0 -ps 0 -oa 2 -us off $unfold;
unfold -i 5000 -ss 0.001 -gb 0 -gmb 0.5 -pub 0 -ps 0 -oa 1 -us off $unfold;
unfold -i 5000 -ss 0.001 -gb 0 -gmb 0.5 -pub 0 -ps 0 -oa 1 -us off $unfold;}
else {
u3dUnfold -ite 1 -p 0 -bi 1 -tf 1 -ms 1024 -rs 0 $unfold ;
}
}

unfoldITclassic();

Message 57 of 104
Anonymous

Well today it crahed at 760 xD

Message 58 of 104
ChunkyDipper

This issue is so annoying, I have no words for it. What an embarrassment for Autodesk. But what really grinds my gears is that they haven't prioritized a fix more than "We estimate a fix within 6 months". 6 months!!! Autodesk have 10000 employees and you can't fix an essential feature faster than that?! 

#$@&%*!

Message 59 of 104
Anonymous

why is so diffcult to fix look like they already know.

but its look like they try to ignore about this big bugs!

Message 60 of 104
T0M0X

I guess then Autodesk doesn't use workstations with AMD processors, if this annoying bug is still unfixed.

Seriously this have to be fixed ASAP!

(or Intel paid them to not fix it, huh ? >:D conspiracy lvl 9000)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report