Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I send workspace.mel to client?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
yaschan
686 Views, 3 Replies

Should I send workspace.mel to client?

I want to make sure that the file paths of the textures stay relative. If I set the workspace I can see that the file path is gone and I look like I am working with relative paths.

If I send the .ma .mb file to client, should I also include workspace.mel? Does including or not including it affect the way how file paths are handled?
I would really appreciate answer for this.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mspeer
in reply to: yaschan

Hi!

If you send a complete project, then the workspace.mel is required to identify a folder as project folder and to handle the default project file paths. It should be included by default as it's inside the project folder.

To create and set projects when working with Maya is the key for using relative file paths (especially as paths are relative to the project folder and not relative to the Maya scene-file).

Message 3 of 4
yaschan
in reply to: mspeer

Thanks for this, really appreciate it.

Yes I always set the project this way. Now, if I don't send the entire project, only .mb and a texture file, will the paths stay relative even then without the workspace.mel?

Thanks

Jaakko

Message 4 of 4
mspeer
in reply to: yaschan

Hi!

This would work if the paths would be relative to the scene, which they are not (at least not by default).

For this to work you would need to save (move) scenes to the root of the project folder, then it would work.

(I don't recommend this.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report