Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unfold 3d Process Error" - Use the legacy unwrapping algorithm.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2561 Views, 7 Replies

"Unfold 3d Process Error" - Use the legacy unwrapping algorithm.

Hello, 

When I want to unfold my UVs I get this error "Unfold 3d Process Error". I saw that Autodesk acknowledged this as an issue due to limitation with AMD CPUs (I have a Ryzen 3800X). They propose to disable the processor's SMT in the Bios, which I did, but it didn't work.  
Now, I want to use the legacy unwrapping algorithm, as they propose it as well. However I don't know how to enable it. I believe it is something you select in the Unfold settings, but I don't have any way to do so. 

So how do you enable it, and do you know if there is any thing to help with this amd problem  ? 
Thank you 🙂 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
t_chanma
in reply to: Anonymous

You can Shift + click the Unfold button in the UV Editor to open the options.  There's a Legacy option in there.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-039FFDA5-3AC5-4CCF-A53E-546CCA6439FC

Matt C

Senior Content Experience Designer

Maya Documentation | Maya Learning Channel |
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: t_chanma

Hi
Thank you, that was it. I just was in the Unfold UV Tool (the brush one), not the base Unfold UVs
The results are different than with the Unfold3D tho, but I'll be able to work with it 🙂
Thank you again 🙂 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

This is not help. please fix

Message 5 of 8
jerome.lievens

Hello,

After one year this shouldn't be a solution to give this is disrespectful.

"Don't use it" isn't a solution.

Time to fix unfold3D to be sure it's compatible with new technologies.

Legacy isn't a good algorythm to unfold a 3D object anymore.

Thank you to bring this problem up

Message 6 of 8
brentmc
in reply to: jerome.lievens

Hi,

Older versions of Maya were patched to fix this issue with Ryzen CPUs.

You need to edit maya.env and add "MAYA_USE_ALTERNATE_UNFOLD_SHIM = 1" as described in this knowledge base article:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya-lt/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Unfold...

Note: It was addressed in this manner because these versions of Maya predate the Ryzen CPUs and the fix involved using a slightly different version of Unfold3D.

I also updated the solution to remove the old advice of using the Legacy version of Unfold because it is out of date information. 

--
Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 7 of 8
Maffnwy

that isnt working

any new insights?
unfold works fine and then it doesnt. very annoying\

Message 8 of 8
q6v6p.simon

Just solved the problem. One important thing I've noticed is you have to update your Maya 2020 first. And this doesn't mean that you have to update the software to the latest version like 2023, just update it to the latest version of 2020 will work. After update, you can then edit the maya.ev. I've been failed sooooooo many times until I updated maya software. This is the video shows where to find the update maya file: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Liiw7qdIxU 

It is not in English but still works. Good luck!

Se você tentou usar o Unfold3d no maya 2020 e deu o erro "Unfold3d process error", aqui eu te ensino como resolver! Pelo que vi este erro acontece com alguns processadores AMD. Você vai precisar atualizar o maya e ajustar uma variável de ambiente, conforme mostro no vídeo. Este é o texto para ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report