Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Reveal selected" function missing in Maya 2016.5 and 2017?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pixelwash
901 Views, 2 Replies

"Reveal selected" function missing in Maya 2016.5 and 2017?

A function that I use at least once or twice a Maya session, often more, as I am often dealing with complex nested hierarchies of objects in the Outliner, is the Outliner window menu "Display" - "Reveal Selected".

What it does, in case you have never used it, is that it moves the view of the outliner to so that it displays a selected object - allowing you to see where it is in the hierarchy, and it is a quick way to get around the Outliner view if you have thousands of objects in it - allowing you to reselect the object in the outliner again easily if you want to because it is shown in the window.

It is not in Maya 2016.5 and 2017 I see now that I am checking them out... 

Maybe it has been moved, if so, where?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
_sebastian_f
in reply to: pixelwash

never noticed it´s not in the menu..
but it´s in the rmb menu and even quicker: pressing "f" works in the outliner as well.
Message 3 of 3
pixelwash
in reply to: _sebastian_f

I see it is still there in the right mouse click menu button popup, thank you.

I prefer the Mac (and it renders faster in MR), so "playing the piano" on multiple mouse buttons is never my first choice...

I have a user assigned hotkey to the f already - the basic mouse pointer tool actually, so I use it a lot.

It irks me that certain important actions aren't available directly in Maya without special mouse click actions: it already occurs in the layers menus also i.e."add selected objects" to the selected layer, and "assign material to selection" in Hypershade.

I can understand functionally why assigning a menu to setting the shader to selected objects is problematic because of the selection focus issue - mouseover data becomes irrelevant when you reach for a menu.

I guess whoever is heading up the UI team thinks burying REALLY important functionality within menus only visible with a right mouse button click is "good" interface design. Ugh.

Do you know if there is a way you can assign a keyboard shortcut to a popup menu in Maya? That would solve these issues for me as I am a real keyboard shortcut user, and if I could assign a custom keyboard shortcut to "add selected object to selected layer" and "reveal selected" and "assign shader the mouse is hovering over to selected objects" I wouldn't have to deal with navigating hierarchical hidden right mouse click menus?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report