Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting Tattoos on Characters

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dazedAndBemused
609 Views, 1 Reply

Putting Tattoos on Characters

I'm a body painter and I'm trying to create a marketing tool for my business. My clients like to see how their painted tattoos look on the models we paint. I'm looking for an easy 3D solution to help me render models in particular poses with tattoos in various spots, including the back. 

I've tried Poser but it doesn't allow me to interactively move the tattoo position and has some challenges when adding textures to the  back.

Are there any *easy" solutions to a challenge like mine? Can I use Maya to take exported Poser animations and models and then apply the tattoo textures in Maya or some easier program?

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi!

You may try the easiet solution swhich are Mudbox or Substance Painter, totally customizable texture placement over other textures.
Here is what I do, using Maya´s native Arnold render:

- create the Ai Standard Surface Shader Glass Shader
- create the Ai Standard Surface Shader Logo Shader with an image that contains transparency ergo Alpha channel on it´s Base Color.

- create an Ai Layer Shader and assign :

• on Layer1 the base material
  • on Layer2 the logo/tatoo material

- in the `Ai Layer Shader` attributes, set the blending mode of the logo/tatoo to `over` to ensure it appears on top of the base material and adjust the `Opacity` if needed.

- apply the Layered Shader to your model

- Enjoy & have fun!

Hope this helps others too!

LAO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report