Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Pan Feature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
og.marcontell
4855 Views, 4 Replies

Problem with Pan Feature

I recently downloaded Maya 2015 onto my Mac os x desktop.  For some odd reason, the "pan" feature does not seem to be working correctly when holding Option and Middle Mouse click to pan around the screen.  The caps lock button is not turned on.  How can I fix this problem so I could use the "pan" feature?  How do you set the "pan" feature correctly in the hotkey editor? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pshwayka
in reply to: og.marcontell

Also try Command+MMB and \+MMB.  If neither of those works, there may be a problem with your mouse...

Message 3 of 5
og.marcontell
in reply to: pshwayka

Hi pshwayka,

I tried out your suggestion to hit \+MMB and a note comes up at the bottom of the screen saying "2D Pan/Zoom: persp", but I'm still not able to grab the pan feature holding down the button and using MMB.  Does it sound like there's something wrong with my mouse?  I do have it set up as "Left Click" for MMB for my Yiynova Tablet Pen settings.  Or would there be another way to set the command up differently in the hotkey editor?

Thank you for your help!

Message 4 of 5
pshwayka

You shouldn't have to use the hotkey editor.  I have a Wacom tablet, and I am able to do application specific settings for the pen buttons in the Wacom utility.  I have one button on the pen assigned as right click, and the other as middle click...and they work as expected in combination with the normal Maya keys. You may want to reach out to Yiynova if the buttons aren't functioning as expected...

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi! Smiley Happy I literally just solved this problem myself through a bit of googling and an hour or so of struggles, haha. I'm not sure if you've fixed the issue or not, but just to help others who have the same problem and come across this post...

It does depend on what sort of mouse you have, but my specific fix is for Logitech mice. I think other mice have very similar fixes, but I wouldn't know the exact solution, just the bare bones.

SO, if you have a logitech mouse and your MMB (middle-mouse-button - the click function of the scroll wheel) doesn't seem to be working on Maya, these are the instructions you need to follow. If this doesn't work, I don't know what will. Smiley Frustrated . If the MMB doesn't seem to do anything, it might be broken, but still give this a go. If your MMB opens a strange window view thing (sort of zooms out and shows all your current windows) then this is the solution for you. If your MMB (again, NOT the scroll function part - that's normal) zooms weirdly in Maya instead of panning, or orbits, then these are the instructions for you.

INSTRUCTIONS for logitech mouse users:

1. If you don't already have it, download and install the Logitech Control Centre/Center from the logitech website. Don't be put off that you have to download something. It might ask you to restart your computer. Once it is downloaded you MIGHT not be able to find it on your desktop or launchpad, but you do have it! Just go into System Preferences/settings and it will be in that window with its little Logitech icon somewhere.
  2. Double click it to open. 
  3. A new window will appear asking you to select a device to Configure (this is assuming you have your mouse plugged in or connected). Select your mouse and click 'Configure' (below it).
  4. Another window will appear, with a 'General' tab and a 'Buttons' tab. Go onto the 'Buttons' tab.
  5. Now you can see all your mouse buttons and how they're configured. You want to go to 'Wheel Button' and click on the little icon on the far right. (looks like an up and down arrow together). You'll likely see 'Mission Control' ticked. You don't want this!
  6. Instead, click the 'Click' option, so that it is ticked instead.
  7. Below you'll see that the Details have changed in the 'Configure Click" tab below. It will have 'Click' selected. You want to set it to 'Middle Click'.
  8. And there we have it! You're done. Now just double check that pan now works on Maya, and redo the steps if it doesn't.

I hope this works for everybody with a Logitech mouse, but if it doesn't, maybe someone has managed to find a shorter and easier method, haha.

Ciao for now! 

Kate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report