Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paint Cache Weights Tool doesn't work. Probably since years.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
336 Views, 4 Replies

Paint Cache Weights Tool doesn't work. Probably since years.

Hi. I'm working on a project that uses Maya Geometry Cache. I need to paint off areas of my model where I don't want the animation cache to be applied, but with my great surprise I realized that the Paint Cache Weights Tool doesn't work at all. You can paint the influences, but the cache deformation don't change at all, no matter what value you paint.
I've tested it in Maya 2019, Maya 2020 and Maya 2022. None worked. And since the Maya Cache is a very old feature, I assume that tool is probably broken since many years and nobody noticed it.
I don't have immediate access to older version of Maya to se see if the feature was working at some point in the past.
Right now I'm kinda screwed, I really need that Paint Cache Weights Tool for my project... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Any help from someone at Autodesk?

Message 3 of 5
hamsterHamster

What kind of geo it is? You probably could have used something else, like blendshape and paint out unnecessary parts from there - this works for sure.

P.s. I have no XP with PCWT.

,,,_ยฐ(O__O)ยฐ_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Its a cloth simulation made in Marvelous Designer, exported in Alembic, then re-exported in Maya Geometry Cache.

Message 5 of 5
hamsterHamster

I guess, you are still able to have alembic driven mesh A and (bound) base mesh B. Then make a blendshape for B from A, and paint A's weights. No?

,,,_ยฐ(O__O)ยฐ_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report