Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Terminal in 2016.5

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
885 Views, 6 Replies

No Terminal in 2016.5

Help!  I am using the student version of 2016.5 and I can't locate Terminal.term or mayaENV.sh in applications/maya2016.5/ or  in applications/maya2016.5/maya/contents/bin.  It is just not there.  I have a very large format rendering that I need broken up in a few tiles.  I tried using the Mac Terminal with the proper commands, but it keeps telling me "Render: not found".  

This is what my Terminal looks like:

iMac:scenes GraphicDesign4$ Render -r mr -v 5 -x 2910 -y 1110 -reg 0 582 0 1110 -rd images -im test01 Test_Barricade-3D01.mb

-bash: Render: command not found

Can anyone help me with this or point me to the Maya Terminal?

TIA

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

As this was covered on Reddit, I'll translate the info here for others:

Like ehuss said, you can use the full command

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2016.5/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render

or as we both pointed out, add this to your PATH variable. If you aren't sure how to do this, from the terminal run:

cd ~

nano .bash_profile

# Add this line to the end of this file

export MAYA_UTILITY=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2016.5/Maya.app/Contents

export PATH=$PATH:$MAYA_UTILITY/bin

# CTRL-O then Y to write this and CTRL-X to close nano

# This part I'm not sure of. As this is the .bash_profile file, you may need to logout/login to take effect. Maybe even reboot. Otherwise, try this:

source ~/.bash_profile

# Close the relaunch Terminal and try running the Render command.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I'm still getting the same error after following your directions.

It is either my install is bollocksed up, or pilot error. I'm in a bit of a time crunch, so I installed 2015 and everything worked flawlessly. When I finish this project I will try to reinstall 2016.5.

here is the list of /bin

ls -al /Applications/Autodesk/maya201x/Maya.app/Contents/bin/

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

When you get the chance, if you could do a screen capture with QuickTime or OBS (or whatever) of you attempting to render from the CommandLine with 2016.5 or 2017, then I think we'll be able to seriously dig in to the issue. In the meantime, if someone on OSX could post a video successfully rendering from the command line with either of these versions for reference that'd be awesome.

I would create a screencap, but I have no OSX machines available to me at the moment.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I was able to revive an old MacBook hanging around the house (was missing the charger previously). I've recorded a quick capture for you to use as reference. I was using 2016.5 (initial, not SP2 which shouldn't make a difference). As long as you're using the default shell that OSX gives you (not switching it to /bin/bash or other) this should work just fine. Sorry for no voice, the mic would kill your ears from the keys. Also sorry for any blurry text, the screen is 1440x900, not ideal in the slightest. Pre-retina machine.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

THANK YOU!!!!!

That worked perfectly!  I can't express how thankful I am!

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Glad I could help! Good luck with your projects 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report