Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Maya - confused with the smoothing process.. what am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
434 Views, 4 Replies

New to Maya - confused with the smoothing process.. what am I doing wrong?

Hey there! 

I'm new to Maya - I'm currently completing a modelling course at Uni, but having to teach myself from home due to COVID-19. I'm trying to create a simple, rounded rectangle shape (using bevelling), which is going to be the body of a camera. However, every time I go to smooth it (clicking key 3) the shape turns out weird. I'm unsure what I'm meant to do to fix this. Any help is really appreciated. 

below is the shape I want:

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 2.40.15 pm.png

And then this is the smoothed shape:

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 2.40.23 pm.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

This has been explained several times.

For Smooth or Smooth Mesh Preview to work as expected you need to create a mesh based on quads with a clean topology consistent of evenly spaced faces.

Either edit your mesh or simply don't use Smooth.

You can try Retopologize to correct this automatically, please check the Maya online help for further information about this.

Message 3 of 5
g2m.agent

It must be because of n-gon (n > 4).

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Is there a certain method / ability to even create a smoothed rounded rectangle shape? 

Message 5 of 5
mspeer

Hi!

There are dozens of possible options, some that work with Smooth Mesh Preview and some without.

One method would be to create a simple polygon cube, then add further subdivisions with Insert Edge Loop Tool, and then enable Smooth Mesh Preview.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report