Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2023 viewport poor performance

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
MannaTheBerserk
1229 Views, 21 Replies

Maya 2023 viewport poor performance

I am experiencing a drastic downgrade on performance in the viewport.

It happens especially when the object in the scene is very close to the camera (zoomed in) and with high-res textures (though I am sure the textures are not the problem, and I will explain why shortly).

The same scene runs super-smooth on Maya 2022.3. No problems what so ever on that version.

Does Maya 2023 requires special settings, or perhaps more powerful hardware?

My computer configuration is the following:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3970X (32 Cores / 64 Threads)

GPU: NVidia GTX 2080 Ti (latest driver freshly installed)

RAM: 128 GB of DDR4 3200

Boot disk: 1TB Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2

Work disk: 1TB Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2

I don't know. On Maya 2022.3 everything was working fine, performance wise, in the viewport.

If you want to try by yourself, please download the object from this link:

Razor Crest Free 3D model 

I am using the TIFF textures, not the JPEG ones. They are UDIMs.
Also I am using the Alembic version of the model.

Hopefully this helps the troubleshooting process.

Any input/help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
damaggio
in reply to: MannaTheBerserk

I have a less powerful computer than yours and there's no lag anywhere, we need to find whats happening there.

Message 3 of 22
MannaTheBerserk
in reply to: damaggio

Yes. It would be great if I could find where the issue is.

Bear in mind, again, that with the previous version of Maya I had no issues at all.

Thanks for the feedback.

Message 4 of 22

P.S.

I forgot to mention that I am using two 27" 4K monitors.

Message 5 of 22
damaggio

I loaded the model and didn't see any slow down on the viewport, so it doesn't look like is a problem with the model itself. Other scenes in 2023 perform slow too?

Message 6 of 22

So, I have found out that the issue only shows up when using V-Ray for Maya 2023.

If I use Arnold, everything runs pretty much as it should. At this point I might have to write my questions in the Chaos Group forum, rather than this.

It is very annoying.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I have just found out an hour ago.

Thanks for trying to help me out with this. 🙂

Message 7 of 22
damaggio

I use VRAY too, no lag ...but then again the viewport is handled by Maya and the graphics card, unless you are rendering in the viewport.

Well , good luck.

Message 8 of 22
MannaTheBerserk

Auch! So, if you are also using V-Ray and you are experiencing no problems at all, you might be able to help me out.

Have you tried setting up a scene with that object I shared the link to, and applying V-Ray materials with the textures provided?

I could share the scene if you don't have time.

Actually the viewport V-Ray render works super fine. It's lighting fast, to the point I would rather use that than the Viewport 2.0 OpenGL, which struggles.

As soon as I change everything to Arnold, which is not what I need by the way, performance in OpenGL goes back to normal (that is as fast as I would expect).

What version of V-Ray and what plugin version are you using?

Mine is the following.

V-Ray 5.20.02

Plugin version: 5

For API version: 20230000

Thank you.

Message 9 of 22
damaggio

The Razorcrest came in nicely , I think the scale is a bit off here, I need to find the right measurements from ILM, the UDIMs worked great too, even in my slow laptop.

In the older PC but more powerful also had no issues in the viewport .

RTX 2080 vray5. Viewport 2.0 open Razor_1.jpgRazor_2.jpgRazor_3.jpggl compatibility.

I did these quick renders.

Maybe check today if there’s a new driver for your card but make sure is supported in Vray GPU. Look for Vray latest GPu driver .

Message 10 of 22
MannaTheBerserk

Yes, I have no problems with producing renders, nor with handling UDIMs or anything else. Everything is fine, except the viewport performance when I zoom in close to the object.

I need to check the OpenGL mode in Maya preferences though, not sure what they are set at the moment.

Message 11 of 22
MannaTheBerserk

I have checked the OpenGL settings, they are also on Core Profile (Compatibility).

This is really annoying. 😐

Message 12 of 22
MannaTheBerserk

I forgot to mention that the issue does not show up during the rendering process, instead it does during normal navigation in the viewport, where only OpenGL is involved, not V-Ray GPU rendering which, by the way, I am not using.

I might try to switch to DirectX instead, and see if it fixes it.

Message 13 of 22
MannaTheBerserk

@damaggio 

So, I have switched the viewport mode to DirectX and, well, now it works lightning fast, the way it should.

For the moment this has fixed the issue. Though I will further investigate the matter, looking for driver issues and the likes.

Thank you very much for your help and your time, very much appreciated!

Message 14 of 22
damaggio

Oh, that's great, yeah for some hardware set up DirectX woks like a charm.

Back in the game.🖖

Message 15 of 22

I was having the same issue with V-Ray. thank you very much! 🙂

Message 16 of 22

@rafaelsegnini 

I am glad this helped you as well! 🙂

Message 17 of 22
sntydomin

I know there are solutions for this but since I dont use Vray or Arnold i use keyshot as a separate renderer, I found that for me personally the only way I fixed this issue was reinstalling and as you install tick off arnold rendered to be installed. and that worked for me.
Message 18 of 22
MannaTheBerserk
in reply to: sntydomin

I didn't have any problems what so ever with Arnold installed.

Message 19 of 22
rafaelsegnini
in reply to: sntydomin

Maybe when you reinstalled Maya, some preferences were reset and then the problem was solved. I don't see a relation between the issue and Arnold...

Message 20 of 22

I agree with Rafael.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report