Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2020 Freezes on Exit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
licensing
1225 Views, 8 Replies

Maya 2020 Freezes on Exit

When closing Maya 2020 on our Macs, the program itself appears to close but the dot on the application in the dock remains, as if it is still running.   If you right-click on the icon, it says the "Application is Not Responding," but you're unable to close it even using "Force Quit."   It's stuck so badly that even trying to shutdown or reboot the computer fails...the only way we've found is to power the Mac off.  This is happening on all 25 of the Macs in our lab. They're all running identical hardware, and macOS 10.15.6.  I've tried to dig through log files and can't find a clue as to what is causing this.  If I look in activity monitor when this is happening, I don't see Maya (or any other autodesk-related services that I can identify) even running, much less frozen.  I may be missing something, but I'm not sure where to look next - does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this, or where I might look to further diagnose the issue?  Thank you!

Labels (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
warnold1
in reply to: licensing

Does this happen all of the time ? Or after some workflow

does setting

MAYA_DISABLE_ADP=1

change anything ? 

In activity monitor there is no Maya process ?  any processes taking lots of cpu time ?

seeing what processes are running may give some clues. the output of: ps -wwwax

Any reports in either

~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

/Library/Logs/DiagnisticReports

crashes, hangs...

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 3 of 9
licensing
in reply to: warnold1

This issue was first noticed when an instructor was testing the lab machines prior to the semester starting - so I'm not sure if he ran any workflows, but I know that I can recreate it by just opening Maya, allowing it to fully load, and then quitting.

I've tried setting MAYA_DISABLE_ADP=1 in the Maya.env file and it does not seem to make a difference.

No Maya process in the activity monitor - and no processes taking lots of CPU time.  I've attached a screenshot of activity monitor to show what it looks like when this is happening.   Looking at ps -wwwax doesn't show anything that stands out (well, that I can tell, anyway)

No Maya/Autodesk-related logs in the Diagnostic Log folders.

I'm going to try an uninstall/reinstall on one of the machines to see if that makes any difference.

Message 4 of 9
warnold1

this hang is not something that I've seen before.   I have seen instances where Maya has crashed and left the dock showing active, but normally there would be a process of some sort.

are there any plugins being autoloaded ?  can they be turned off to debug if one of them is causing issue ?

we have seen instances where DNS resolution has hung Maya - workaround/change in those cases was to explicitly edit the /etc/hosts file  adding/updating the line:

127.0.0.1 localhost enterHostNameHere

where enterHostNameHere is the name of the machine, output from the macOS command: hostname 

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 5 of 9
lynn_zhang

Hello @licensing ,

Just checking to see if your problem has been solved. Did the response from @warnold1 help answer your question? Let us know if you still need help.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 6 of 9
licensing
in reply to: lynn_zhang

I apologize for the delay in responding - with our semester starting, things got a bit crazy.

I think we discovered what causes the issue, and how to work around it.  When one starts Maya, it appears in the "recently used" part of the macOS dock and bounces a few times, but then stops without an "active' dot under it.  A person's first instinct is to click it again, because it appears that it failed to start.  However, if you do that, it appears to launch normally, but when you try to exit, that's when it freezes.

However, if you DON'T click it again after it stops bouncing, in 30-60 seconds it will start bouncing again on it's own, and Maya will load.  This time, when you exit, it closes normally.

Very odd - we've recreated this on all of the lab machines we've tested.  I'm not sure what Maya is doing during the time it appears to have failed to start, but I've not had the time to dig deeper.

Please let me know if you have questions or would like me to try anything else.

Thank you!  

Message 7 of 9
warnold1

what command line is being used to launch Maya ?  almost sounds like there are 2 processes involved.
are you launching from a shortcut, link on the desktop ?  or some other method

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

no news atm, the problem is still there. Any update?

Message 9 of 9
warnold1

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue locally. any output from the licensing log files may be of interest.  should be in your $TMPDIR directory

you will want to sanitize the log files for serial numbers 

ie from terminal window:

ls -lrt $TMPDIR

usually the last few files related to Maya would similar to:

-rw-r--r--  1 arnoldw  staff    226 11 Oct 20:25 AdlSdk-13427.log

-rw-r--r--  1 arnoldw  staff    226 11 Oct 20:25 AdlSdk-Maya 2020-13427.log

-rw-------  1 arnoldw  staff      0 11 Oct 20:25 agent-stderr-13427.log

-rw-------  1 arnoldw  staff      0 11 Oct 20:25 agent-stdout-13427.log

-rw-r--r--  1 arnoldw  staff  11940 11 Oct 20:26 MayaCLM-11-10-2021.log

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report