Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 weirdness: Left mouse button doesn't move manipulator

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
groatman
20266 Views, 55 Replies

Maya 2018 weirdness: Left mouse button doesn't move manipulator

Just installed Maya 2018, and for some reason I can't move/scale/rotate objects or components using the left mouse button the way we have in every other version of Maya ever. My middle mouse button will move it, but the left button just draws out a marquee. Please tell me this is something that can be fixed and isn't some new maddening feature.

Also, I can't isolate an axis on the move manipulator by clicking on one of the arrows. These are crazy problems to have.

UPDATE: Wow. I just also realized that even when I move it with my middle mouse button, it only moves relative to camera and never only moves in the direction of the manipulator arrows. In other words, it's almost impossible to move it only in the x, y, or z axis. This is bizarre.

55 REPLIES 55
Message 2 of 56
Mike_Rochefort
in reply to: groatman

By any chance are you using preferences from previous Maya versions? I installed last night and just tested again (with fresh preferences) and I'm not seeing any of those issues.

Always looking to solve problems, if I'm helpful at all consider dropping a kudos!

Message 3 of 56
groatman
in reply to: Mike_Rochefort

Yeah, good call. I'll re-install fresh and see what happens!

Message 4 of 56
groatman
in reply to: Mike_Rochefort

The problem turns to be that I'm using an Evoluent mouse, and apparently Maya 2018 disapproves. 🙂

Message 5 of 56
TheRatcheater

Are you sure your mouse is the problem? I use a kind of generic mouse and have exactly the same issues.

• When hovering over the manipulators they don't highlight in yellow and when i try to click on them it just draws a selection box.
  • Same applies to these small option boxes that appear in the viewport when using specific tools (e.g. the bevel tool). When I try to change their values they just disappear and I draw a selection box.
  • The red pre-highlighting seems to work just for edges and vertices but not for faces 

Seem to be viewport 2.0 issues, because I've switched to the legacy viewport and there everything works just fine (I've enabled the legacy viewport via environment variable)

Message 6 of 56
uconn_dmd

@TheRatcheater

What OS/GPU/Driver are you using? And the question I hate asking the most: are you working with default/reset preferences?
Message 7 of 56
TheRatcheater
in reply to: uconn_dmd

Whoops sorry that I forgot the specs 😄

CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 v3

GPU: GeForce GTX 780

Driver version: 347.25 (That's quite old.. maybe I should have updated that by now)

And yes I installed it with fresh preferences and all of this worked fine in Maya 2017 Update 4.

Thank you for helping!

Cheers,

Robin

Message 8 of 56

That is very interesting, and yest those drivers are very old at this point. I would keep a backup installer of the drivers then use DDU (display driver uninstaller) and install a newer driver available. See if that helps work things out.

Always looking to solve problems, if I'm helpful at all consider dropping a kudos!

Message 9 of 56

Hi all!

Glad to see it looks like @groatman is all set but @TheRatcheater have you solved this issue?

If not have you tried updating your drivers?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 10 of 56

Hey tested it today and everything appears to work fine now. Updating the drivers was basically everything I had to do.

Big thanks to you guys and have a nice week! 🙂

Message 11 of 56
Prakapovich

Hello!I do not have some problems whith eny kind of renders,but  anyway i have this problem.Tell me please what i need to do.thank you!

when i click left mose botton nothing happens.Evoluent mouse i do not have too.

Message 12 of 56
sean.heasley
in reply to: Prakapovich

Hi @Prakapovich and welcome to the community!

Can you provide a bit more information on what your issue is?

Message 13 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

I have the same issue with the left mouse button not connecting to the manipulators. I am using Logitech cordless PerformanceMX mouse.  I installed Maya 2018 and I allowed it to create new default prefs during installation.  I also have the same issue using my Intuos4 Wacom tablet and pen. None of these issues appear in Maya 2017, 2016 or 2015 with these two input devices.

Message 14 of 56
Prakapovich

Hi Sean.Heasley!I renewed my video driver (i have geforce 210)fore the 14.11.2016 it is the latest update.thank you!

Message 15 of 56
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Have you checked your drivers to make sure they're all up to date?

Message 16 of 56
Prakapovich

Sean,tell me please what drivers i need to check?

Message 17 of 56
sean.heasley
in reply to: Prakapovich

The drivers for your mouse mainly but you may also want to check your GPU drivers.

Message 18 of 56
Anonymous

Hi, yes, I ran a check online for more up-to-date drivers for both the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card and for the Microsoft Performance MX cordless mouse, and they are both using the latest drivers. Is there anything else driver-wise that I should be checking?

Message 19 of 56
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

No those two should be fine. Do you possibly have another mouse you can test to see if the same issue occurs?

Message 20 of 56
gavinsoares

hi -

I am have the same issue but for 2017 - can't use left mouse button to move manipulators (trans, rot and scale)

also - when I try for example trans 1st then switch to rot - maya will crash

I don't have this problem with 2016 or 2015

please help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report