Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 crashes on save, file import, and export

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
jtompkins
53861 Views, 14 Replies

Maya 2018 crashes on save, file import, and export

Hi, I run a small lab at a school, primarily using maya for 3D modeling for 3D printing. About half of the computers in the lab are having major issues with Maya crashing any time a student tries to save a scene, export a file, or even import image references. Its almost like the opening of the file browser causing a crash. Otherwise, these installs seem to be working properly other than slow startup. We are running maya on PC's with nvidia K2000 and K2200 graphics cards, i7, 16gb ram. I have tried to reinstall maya, delete older maya installs and files, and changing the file dialog style as os native. Any help is appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jtompkins

A certain amount of hardware software conflict is not unusual and can be easily addressed with some minor system configuration changes.

Amount of computers in your lab that are experiencing these symptoms

[  ] Only a few

[  ] Less than half

[  ] Half

[  ] More than half

[  ] Almost all

[  ] All

You are experiencing these problems with

[  ] Some scenes

[  ] Most scenes

[  ] All scenes

Your scenes are

[  ] Very light

[  ] Medium

[  ] Extremely heavy

Thank you.

Message 3 of 15
jtompkins
in reply to: Anonymous

Amount of computers in your lab that are experiencing these symptoms

[ ] Only a few

[ ] Less than half

[ x] Half

[ ] More than half

[ ] Almost all

[ ] All

You are experiencing these problems with

[ ] Some scenes

[ ] Most scenes

[ x] All scenes

Your scenes are

[x ] Very light (empty)

[ ] Medium

[ ] Extremely heavy

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

I am very sorry for the students. That is a bad start for them.

Message 5 of 15
jtompkins

Yes, it has been a bad start for them. Thankfully I found an obscure posting that solved the issue. Apparently the Dell systems we are using have Dell Backup and Recovery installed and certain versions do not play well with Maya 2018. Uninstalled the program and working fine.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Message 7 of 15
warnold1

Yes other programs using Qt5 have the same issue

Dell’s use of Qt5 in a File-System extension exposed possible version conflicts

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: warnold1

So what's the solution?
The link above has been removed. I'm having this same problem with Maya 2018 (either crashing or locking up) and in 3DS Max 2019 it crashed when I try to import/export.
I'm also using a Dell, (64 bit), Windows 8.1.

Message 9 of 15
warnold1

Having the actual CER number to know what the stack trace is would help give specific direction

this thread issue was about a conflict with Dell’s file extension for backup and recovery app that used Qt5 functions that were exposed to applications

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/On-some-D...

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you. I thought since I was also using a Dell, this info might apply. I followed the steps you attached. I set up default preferences and it still crashes even when setting up a scene.

If you tell me how to find the  "CER number to know what the stack trace is" I can try to do that.

I have a case number, (Case 15243499) but no one has replied to me in a few days.

I'm crashing with both 3DS Max 2019 and Maya 2018  (student versions)

Thanks.

Message 11 of 15
warnold1

when Maya crashes, it attempts to create a CER report that can be sent to Autodesk servers. the normal process, would display a dialog to the user, which can fill in email address and comments concerning the workflow at the time of the crash. on submitting the report, there would then be a Web page opened with a short note including the CER number which can then be searched for. if there is no CER dialog then Maya is crashing in a manner which is preventing the crash handler to complete. after that it gets to be more technical to obtain a stack trace. if there is a Microsoft dialog, before dismissing it one could check to see if the Maya.exe process is still in memory and attempt to get a mini-dump from Task Manager or attach to the process with Visual Studio

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Ok. Thank you. It is not giving me any of that or even an error message, but it did for Max, and I sent that report in. Maya just locks up or states it has to shut down. (this is when saving or creating a project, export, import). Other features seem to work ok like the modeling and the Materials. I was able to create the dump file, which is attached. (although it may be too huge to attach). It looked to be 2Gb I'm attaching the max dump instead.

Message 13 of 15
warnold1

Could you install Maya 2018 update 6  see if it behaves better, there was a change for some CER reporting issue

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

I just installed the update(s) and it's still acting up. Basically having the same problems with both software. 

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

My computer is a Dell Alienware Area-51 R2
I updated all my software especially the AlienRespawn (similar to the Dell Backup & Recovery), and I updated all the drivers I could find for my computer. I set up backup System Restore discs and I 'almost' uninstalled the AlienRespawn, (and was about to just wipe the computer if none of that worked......but once I updated everything, the Autodesk software (both Max and Maya) WORKED!!!

I was almost in a state of shock, but I'm ecstatic needless to say.

Thank you for your assistance in solving my problem. I hope it helps someone else, at least.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report