Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 won't start

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
rosttka
18482 Views, 24 Replies

Maya 2017 won't start

Today i was meeting one problem! My Maya 2017 (student version) won't start!
I have Windows 10 (64) RAM 32Gb, CPU i7-6700 3,40GHz, GeForce 1080... I think my PC good for Maya 🙂
I was reinstalling Maya but i hav'nt result. I see in Task Manager Maya but i can't work with her.

Maybe somebody have decision?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
jacobreuling
in reply to: rosttka

I have a similar problem. After installing the Windows 10 Creators Update, neither Maya 2017 nor Maya 2016 Extension 2 will run at all. Clicking on a shortcut, the .exe file, or even trying to launch it from the command window causes a brief pause but then absolutely nothing happens. No error message, no crash window, absolutely nothing other than the little blue thinking wheel appearing on the cursor for a split second. If I look at the Task Manager while attempting to open it, I see Maya appear as a background process for about half a second before it disappears.

I myself am running an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M graphics card.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous

I am having this same issue. Windows 10, Maya 2017 student licence. 

Which is frustrating, I have assignments due.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous

The Creators update for Windows is most likely the cause for this (as far as I can rationally think). I may suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Maya (Use the browser download method) and seeing if that resolves the issue.
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure what you mean by the browser method, but I've already uninstalled/installed it. 

No idea if I'm running this "creator" update though

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous

If you open up Windows Settings and find the About side tab (I can't remember for the life of me which panel it's under) what build number is your Windows version?
Message 7 of 25
jacobreuling

My build of Windows 10 is 15063.138, version 1703.

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous

That would be the creators build. We'll have to wait for official word from Autodesk in compatibility.
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous

For those who are now on Windows 10 Creator's Update (1703), I would recommend trying to reinstall your graphics driver and seeing if Maya launches without issue. OS updates like this can invalidate certain things (all too common on Linux) and a quick refresh could help. If it doesn't, try an uninstall/reinstall of Maya. If neither of those work, we'll have to wait on Autodesk.

For users who haven't updated yet, I would recommend (if possible) editing your Group Policy settings to prevent Windows from automatically updating your system. This is only applicable to Professional, Enterprise, Education, and Server users of Windows 10. To do this, perform the following steps:

1. Open up the Group Policy Editor. This can be done by either searching for it or by doing 'Windows_Key + R' and typing `gpedit.msc`.

2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates

3. In the CAU window, switch the setting to 'Enabled' and choose the configuration of your choice. I personally chose '2 - Notifiy for Download and Notify for Install'. It's more manual but more reassuring.

4. Click Apply then OK, and close the GPE. I would recommend rebooting just to make sure.

This has been reported not to work for some users on the Anniversary Update (1607), but it seems to be working fine for me.

The last 'safe' update for Windows 10 1607 is KB4015217. You can find more info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4015217/windows-10-update-kb4015217

Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

I'm on version 1607, Build 14393.1066. Anything for me?

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous

Could you list out your hardware? I unfortunately can't replicate your issue as my laptop refuses to install the KB4015217 update. So I'm one version behind. In researching that version there have been issues however (at the OS level, not Autodesk).

Have you given reinstalling your graphics drivers a go?

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous

I'm not at my laptop right now but where would I find that info?

I do know that my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 960M, and drivers ARE up to date.
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous

You can find all but graphics card info (which you already know) by right clicking on the windows start button and selecting System.

If everything was working fine until today, that's strange. Did a Windows Update occur today for you or last night?

Just reinstalling the graphics driver may help, but I fear there may be a larger issue at hand. I would recommend using DDU and doing a clean install of the driver. If there was an update, it doesn't matter how up to date your drivers are, something can get invalidated.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous

Lessee...

Manu: ASUSTek

Model: GL752VW

Process: Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Hz

RAM: 16 GB

64 bit System

Also, I have uninstalled and re-installed it with no luck. I can say however, that Maya was not on this sytem until yesterday. However, before this system was reformatted after repairs, 3DS MAX was installed instead, and it worked with no problems.

Message 15 of 25
jacobreuling

I managed to find a solution which has worked on my end. I had to reinstall all of the versions of Microsoft Visual Studio C++ listed here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to...

Message 16 of 25
rosttka
in reply to: jacobreuling

Sorry, jacobreuling, but I could not repeat your experience. 😞 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous

Found a fix. You can roll your update back. 

1) Tap the Window's key

2) type in "Settings" 

3) Within the settings type in "Go to an earlier build" (Go to an eairler build_01.JPG)

4) Left mouse button click the "Get Started" button. (Go to an eairler build_02.JPG) NOTE: picture was taken just after figured out this worked

Let me know if this works for anyone else. Thanx.

Message 18 of 25
rosttka

Sorry but in my case it don't works... eh... I am 2 weeks without maya!
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous

I had the same problem with AutoCAD 2017 and Inventor Pro 2017 after Windows 10 Creators Update. My solution was to repair Microsoft Visual Studio C++ (Not uninstall)

See ya..!
Message 20 of 25
Anonymous

Thanx for the feedback. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report