Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with geometry randomly disappearing from the arnold render view

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
Anonymous
9197 Views, 36 Replies

Issue with geometry randomly disappearing from the arnold render view

So I'm currently working with Maya 2019 but I've had this same issue in the past while working on other versions of Maya. It doesn't seem to happen too often but its very frustrating when it does. 

I was using isolate selected while running the IPR and messing with sliders on a ramp node when suddenly my entire mesh dissapears from the render view.

I'm working on a skin shader for a human bust and the bust will dissapear but eyes remain visible in the render view. I try everything to get it back into view and sometimes I'm unsuccessful and sometimes it will seem to reappear for no reason. I've tried assigning a new arnold material, deleting the mesh and re-importing it, I deleted my preferences, I updated arnold, I made sure it was on the correct render layer, I made sure camera visibility was checked, I've tried restarting maya and my PC numerous times.

Doing random things like like turning autobump off on the mesh shape will get it to come back, or changing the catclark subdivs to a different amount. But doing random things like changing a slider on a node will cause it to vanish again.

The strange thing is the mesh is always visible in the regular render view but not the arnold render view, which sucks because the arnold render view seems much faster and has the isolate selected mode. 

If anyone has any clues as to what causes this I'd be very grateful to know. 

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
mrpepe4
in reply to: Anonymous

this problem occurs to me very often and randomly as well. i couldnt find any reasonable solution yet, but "i have the feeling" that changing maya's workspace back to "maya classic" and/or rendering a frame with maya's render view sometimes does the job.

Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: mrpepe4

Hello, I am also experiencing this issue. When using displacement with subdivision type set to catclark random meshes will disappear in the render view. I cannot see any pattern or reason why this is happening. Adjusting sliders, changing settings etc will randomly make the meshes appear again. This is happening very frequently and its making displacement basically unusable. I’m using maya 2019.2 with the latest version of MtoA, GTX 1070, Ryzen 3900x.

Message 23 of 37
Anonymous

I have the same exact problem.

This is how it looks for me:

55b142773e20f488f3ff849bc44158c1

Message 24 of 37
bmariol1

Hello,

Same problem here. I used Catclark to add depth to the object and they would disappear at random times. I recently deleted the displacement and added a normal map instead, and I'm still having the same issue. What I found is that if you change camera views sometimes the mesh will reappear. 

I can attach information if you'd like!

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: bmariol1

Oh yes, please do!

Message 26 of 37
Anonymous

render_miskates_2.jpg

render_miskates.jpg 

i have the same mater. when i open IPR rander displacamentmap apaers but when i take arnold render in the render wiew samewhere gemomertricly disapear. i cuddent find a solution to that issue if some one find i solution i want to learn what kind of metod necassary to that issue

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous

Hi there,

I ran into the same problem. Try using the render view to actually render instead of Arnolds IPR Render View (use the one circuled in the image attached).

render_view.png

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous

Yeah that works but the regular render view kinda sucks because you cannot isolate selected nodes, unless there's an option to and I'm just missing it. 

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous

I had the same issue a couple times,good to know I'm not alone cus this is so frustrating

One time I  changed the subdivision Iterations and it appears again.

Message 30 of 37
Anonymous

Not sure if this is relevant now, check that Primary visibility and all the following setting are ticked under the object's Render stats in the Attribute Editor

2acaee588b923f91260e478a25608d93.png

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous

was this ever solved? having a similar problem. The model only seems to disappear from Renderview when I turn Arnold subdivisions on in the object shape. it then occasionally shows  with 1 or 2 iterations, but never 3+. The object in question has 290k faces, could this be part of the problem?

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous

hi, i dont know if u have solved the issue by now, but I will suggest you select your character, go to arnold and turn on the primary visibility. thanks.

Message 33 of 37
Anonymous

hi, this was how i solved mine. select your character, go to Arnold and turn on the primary visibility. thanks

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous

Yeah I don't even use Arnold for rendering anymore and I've switched to blender over the past year so anyone else is welcome to try the mentioned suggestions 

Message 35 of 37
Anonymous

awesome, i will try this out. thanks for responding on an old thread

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Primary Visibility is already turned on for the object. This seems to happen across a range of scenes and it always occurs when I turn on subdivisions alongside a displacement shader in the Arnold tab. The moment I turn off subdivisions the object reappears.

Message 37 of 37
stephaniekwiatkowski

I'm having this issue to. I just have one light in the scene. I just have basic texutres on my character. And using AiStandard Surface for my shader which is the same that is one the chain, they eyes, the collar the fence, the dog house the everything. Why does Arnold hide my main dog mesh from Render View. Please help. Is there something in the Render settings I need to uncheck/click. Or in Prefences. 

What is going on with my image.jpg

This is what the scene is supposed to look like, this is a screen grab from the Maya Viewport

Screenshot 2024-04-18 222252.png

I've done tests in Playblast and it read my dog mesh no problem, but why is Arnold making it disappear. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report