Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge instability in maya 2016

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gvok
447 Views, 3 Replies

Huge instability in maya 2016

Hi Autodesk. 

Understanding that developing parallel evaluation or any sort of multi threading is fraught with danger, I need to say that Maya is massively unstable in parallel mode. There are so many scenarios at our studio on very different projects producing big and frequent crashes. 

My rigs that are procedurally created (scripted) and are clean and fairly efficient, crash constantly. The guy next to me is doing fx animation using completely different approach (not characters) is also pulling his hair out.  The animator to my left is using workaround that I have given him to lower the frequency of crashing. 

2 characters in a scene? forget it.

1 character with a simple nHair driven ponytail (with the evaluation scripts listed on AD's site used to avoid crashing with dynamics).. frequent crashing.

3rd party plugins such as cvJiggle and Brave Rabbits stuff are not happy there ( and that is the problem of 3rd party tools) but even when blocking evaluation on these nodes (turned off ie) still major frailty.

I have logged about 10 crashes (I believe I added files to some of them) but I get about 20 or more in  a day.

PLEASE QA this stuff more rigorously.  Too many deadlines not deal with this unnecessary stress.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
slimboJoe
in reply to: gvok

Indeed.  The Parallel evaluation causes problems with the MMB timeline drag after nParticles are introduced into the scene and using Viewport2.0.  Good thing they give an option to turn it OFF, but it is ON by default.

I am scrambling to recover from the turmoil this has caused at my studio, but happy that I can continue to use 2016 instead of backing up a version or two.

Message 3 of 4
gvok
in reply to: slimboJoe

Yep, I am aware of the options to turn on and off evaluation of FX. I should reiterate that the crashing / parallel instability it not restricted to when FX is evaluated in the scene. The 2 suggested workflows to either turn off eval of fx or to run the script that apparently allows it to run correctly, dont resolve the instability entirely. 

We are getting crashing when two fairly standard (no fx) rigs are being used in the same scene. Also (with fx eval off) two other rigs (one with nHair driven ik) both behave correctly if used separately in scene but regularly crash when both in scene together. 

We've all turned off parallel eval in our studio because each artist/td has in some form or other experienced a stupid level of crashing. 

Message 4 of 4
slimboJoe
in reply to: gvok

So it looks like some issues involving the Parallel Evaluation is solved in SP6 and Ext2...BUT...

...my testing indicates that the problems will come into those releases if you use an asset created in SP5 (I did not test service packs previous to that).

gvok, what version are you guys using?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report