Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOWTO: Tumble around a selection?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
9497 Views, 11 Replies

HOWTO: Tumble around a selection?

I cant figure out how to get it so the tumble navigation rotates or orbits around the current selection. 

Nor can I find how or where to set something like this.

Is this possible in Maya?

How so?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I didn't think I was ever going to find how to do this. 

However...

I'll answer my own question, I think this works... as I'd hoped it would:

Tumble Around Selection ...or... Orbit around Selection (as it's known in the other, better 3D program)

Go here, and click on the little box to the right:

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 11.00.21 pm.png

...then set the following pop up dialog in this way, and it should rotate around the selection, most of the time:

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 11.00.40 pm.png

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

This isn't exactly right. 

It doesn't orbit around the centre of a selection, or where the transform for a selection is.

I can't quite figure out where it's rotating around. And it is annoying.

Using f key to centre doesn't help solve the problem. It's still not rotating around the centre of the object OR the transform.

Message 4 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

Usually Maya focuses on the midpoint of the Bounding Box of the current selection (independent of selecting objects or components)

So it's not the shown Pivot where the focus happens when using hotkey "F" even when selecting at the object level.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

This is part of the problem. 

There's another few parts.

Perhaps the most troubling/annoying part of these ways it behaves: any activation of the Tumble "mode" via alt-click seems to ray-cast into the scene through the viewport's projection, onto the object(s) underneath that "click" and assumes that the location of a sub-selection under that "click" is to be the focus of the rotation, even if the whole object is selected in object mode, or the whole object is selected in a sub-selection mode, and despite the fact this is not a selection "click", it's a Tumble input.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I see you work for Autodesk, so I'll drop these here for you, and hope that they also help others seeking insight into this part of Tumble "problems".

In the docs, if Multi-Gesture Mode Only is set for the trackpad, there are two intriguing oddities, and one bug:

1. Swipe with one-finger for tumble has a slight delay that's quite annoying, and is then overly sensitive. I don't mind the sensitivity, but I don't think most would like it. I can't imagine anyone liking the delay.

2. One finger gesture tumbling occurs around the centre of the viewport, regardless of the mode/states set in the Tumble settings.

And the bug:

After tumbling with the one finger gesture, if you goto tumbling with the mouse, it's also now tumbling around the centre of the viewport, despite the selection remaining constant throughout all of the above, and having previously tumbled around that selection.

Selecting another selection, of any sort, resets the tumble to the new selection.

However, another bug... if the viewport is panned prior to making a new selection, with the mouse, the subsequent tumbling (with the mouse) remains around a fixed position in world space, where it started tumbling from during the finger-swipe gesture tumble. So it's entirely possible to move the tumble pivot right out of the viewport. Which is unlikely to be the desired behaviour of most users, most of the time. It'd be rare to ever want this, even rarer to need it to act like this.

// I don't mind the finger swipe tumble setting the tumble pivot to the middle of the viewport. I think that's a good feature shortcut to the problem of getting back to a middle of viewport tumble from selection tumble. I do think it should stay consistently at that point, in relative terms, throughout subsequent panning. 

Message 7 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

You enabled "Tumble on object" in Tumble Tool, this is not the default setting,

just disable this Attribute.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I'm not sure what it not being the default setting has to do with what I'm discussing, attempting and experiencing.

Sorry! I am a moron, most days, most of the time.

Message 9 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

Thanks for the added Information from the other thread.

The hint with the "not default" was just to let you know that if you would do some sort of reset this would not be enabled again.

Message 10 of 12
rick.gimbel

Working in Maya 2022 and I am also experiencing this issue and the frustrating thing is that no matter what I set the tumble options to, if I create another persp camera, it will behave as expected.   So...this has to be a bug?

Message 11 of 12
wyatt.nolte
in reply to: rick.gimbel

Have you tried view>look at selection? Worked for me

Message 12 of 12
gY7MMK

in your persp Window go to View > Default View

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report