Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to learn to create complex materials in Maya

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
463 Views, 2 Replies

How to learn to create complex materials in Maya

Hey Guys,

I've worked 5 years with Blender and was able to create complex Materials. A few weeks ago, I've switched to Maya. I've started to watch Maya beginner tutorials on YouTube on how to do 3D modelling. This worked fine. Now I want to create materials in Maya, like a planet surface etc. Sci-fi stuff. The problem is, that I cannot find any good/new/ Tutorial on how to create complex materials etc. They just show, how to apply a texture, but not how to work with Nodes, like in Blender. 
Do you know any good tutorial/course, which teach that kind of Stuff? Or someone who teach this for Blender user?

The Courses I’ve found on Udemy mostly teach the modelling, but not the shading, texturing etc.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

There is no difference for material networks than in other applications they are all very similar.

The main thing to do is to learn all the nodes available in Maya (or for a renderer), especially the Utility nodes, but these are all explained in the Maya Online Help / Documentation.

Message 3 of 3
djonesuk
in reply to: Anonymous

Arvid Schneider, who is a profession lighting TD, has an incredible YouTube channel that focusses mostly on Arnold shaders.

One thing that I think Solid Angle could improve on is their material library.  If you look at Maxwell materials there are hundreds that you can either use directly or pick apart and learn from.  Arnold's default materials are unfortunately pretty scant and simplistic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report