Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are preferences corruption still an issue after all this time?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1842 Views, 5 Replies

How are preferences corruption still an issue after all this time?

Ok I have been using Maya since some of the earliest  betas on IRIX and NT. and I used Alias Power Animator on IRIX before that. Nothing in any 3D software I have ever used is more annoying that Maya's Ability to cease functioning if a prefs config file gets hosed. For as long as I can remember at least once ever 6  months or so "usually far more often, I'm being very generous here" something will happen and Maya will start crashing for no reason. and of course supports first response is delete the prefs folder.  Sure enough after that Maya works fine. But now I have to spend a day maybe longer pulling out a older copy of my preferences files and putting things back one at a time and hoping that somewhere along the way I dont put something back that is causing it and heaven forbid, corrupt the new copy of the preferences I just made. If you are someone like me that has collected a ton of scripts and and my shelves the way I like them. This is a serious pain.

Everything was fine Friday but today I come in and every time I start Maya. Couple seconds after the interface pops up and BAM! Maya has encountered and error. with no explanation and then shuts down. Sure enough I remove the preferences folder and Maya boots up just fine. so Now I have Just wasted and entire day going thru things putting them back in one at a time and I'm still not done. I'm no closer now to finding out what caused it than I was when it crashed the first time this morning. the Maya contains no useful information other than telling that Maya started. Why doesn't this list the items that are being loaded? Obviously there are all these programs and scripts loading. Why is this not being logged in any useful manner? I should be able to goto the log and find the last thing that initiated and tract down the likely problem. but nope.

The event viewer in windows is just as useless it just letting me know that Maya crashed. But I really dont expect MS to have the info it isn't their responsibility. 

Now I have to go keep trying to put everything back together and spend the whole night in front of my computer hopefully getting the work done that I should have been able to get done today!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cornelh
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

I've been there and done that!! I feel your pain. yet I did get smarter than Maya after some time.. lol  I created a folder set of custom Prefs that are clean and working and put them in a safe place (where they can't get corrupted) then when I get a corruption and need to clean prefs.  I already have the folder set with all my customer scripts, shelves, etc.. and I know they work.  Sounds like that would be a good solution for you in the mean time.

Also I have seen many people trying to use very old scripts in Maya that are extreme Legacy that really don't work, or have been completely removed.  I would suggest doing a house cleaning of those scripts every year or two and see if they cause any issues, as your issues might very well be self created.  Some of my buddies working in the VFX industry use some very old legacy rigging tools, some which don't work with some of the new evaluations modes and/or viewport 2.0 and cause some serious KABOOMs in Maya.  "Knowing is half the battle"  

I do agree, it would be great to not loose all of our custom work, maybe you could post on the Autodesk Idea station for the Maya Developers to make a backup Prefs. folder and maybe a more robust logging or tracing system to catch some of the loading events and what might be causing a crash?  (I can put in a request if you would like)  Thank you for your great ideas, and hopefully you can get back to your work ASAP.    Best of luck on your projects!! 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: cornelh

Today I discovered that changes have been made to the way Shelves are managed. It started when I discovered that Polygons_User, Animation_User, XGen_User shelves etc had errors in them. This is in 2017. I had not been using these shelves but one thing led to another and it dawned on me that something was not behaving as I expected.

To make a long story short... I've been through all my preference setups back to 2014, I've tried multiple configurations, and attempted to recreate the failing shelves and create a new shelf for a new task. Something has drastically changed in the way shelves are being run. After deleting my shelves and spending significant time attempting to recreate them I've discovered that some changes I make with commands that are supposed to be valid (in particular -style) are being reverted back to a standard setting without my knowledge.

Looking through forum posts and Google searches I'm seeing all sorts of complaints regarding shelves. After recreating some of the failing shelves I'm seeing big differences in command and other style structures between 2016 and 2017, and it is being made worse because some of the shelf settings from older preferences are being carried over when 2017 was installed.

Further, as others have already complained icon sizes are behaving unexpectedly and I'm struggling with labels for my own custom MEL scripts. I can't seem to set a size wide enough get my labels to show up as readable, I want them on the bottom of the shelf not over the icon, and I want enough horizontal room to be able to read my labels. I cant seem to affect any of these changes and some of the changes I make, such as -style, are being purposely removed by Maya once it is run.

Looking back it seems that some of this began with Maya 2016 but has gotten worse under 2017. And I'm wondering how much of this is having an impact on the OP's original complaint. I sympathize with his frustration. I've been using Maya since 1998 and this need to be constantly deleting preferences is as old as Maya itself. He has a valid point.

Having Backup preferences is not going to fix this problem. Cleaning things out every year or two is not going to help either. You have to completely erase and recreate all prefs with each new version just to minimize the problem and that's not a guarantee. The problem exists because Maya has this propensity to drag along older outdated, deprecated and invalid preference content because someone changed the way a command works or changed a UI behavior or setup in a new maya version but didn't mod the way the prefs handles this new stuff or check for it or clean it out. This has been ongoing for 2 decades. And then there is the issue of documentation. For example:

Looking at the shelfButton command reference for Maya 2017, it tells me I can use the following values for the -style setting:

"iconOnly", "textOnly", "iconAndTextHorizontal", "iconAndTextVertical", and "iconAndTextCentered".

But every time I change it to "iconAndTextVertical" Maya reverts it back to "iconOnly" in the MEL shelf script upon exit. Is the setting valid or has it been deprecated?

There's a brief explanation in the Maya 2016 What's New document that Shelves were updated. But since that time nothing is found in the Maya 2017 What's New docs and a search of AKN produces nothing of relevance when searching for shelfButton and style.

Can someone please explain what is going on here.

Joey

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hey old timer - I feel your pain.

Today the Outliner is blank. Yet using the marking menu Hypershade/Outliner/Persp shows a version of Outliner with objects.  But the other Outliner is empty still. Don’t know why there would be two Outliner windows anyway. So, I fixed the problem by deleting my preferences. My point is, the basics are breaking with Maya 2017.

Clearly,  work went into making the new Workspaces (Maya Classic, Motion Graphics, etc) in Maya 2017. Yet what we need is solid interface design which we, the users, can manipulate.   Maya is a user customizable tool -- it doesn't really need Workspaces, it needs attention to the basics.

Like Preferences not being corrupted. And, my comment since Maya Beta, the Escape Key to quit a render.

Hopefully helpful solution : keep multiple versions of preferences.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I can't add much more to this discussion than what's already been said, but I feel like Maya should come with 3 command line options: mayabak, mayame, mayafresh. One for backing up the prefs, one for reinstating your custom prefs from the backup, and one to nuke them to start clean. No 'manual' work.

Ideally though, AD should just make basic things work and be stable 🙂

Message 6 of 6
mp34

Yes I'd like to see someone put a little time into fixing this. It's really not up to scratch for such expensive software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report