Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

groom goal length beyond 10 units

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
464 Views, 2 Replies

groom goal length beyond 10 units

I've got a character that I want to apply groomable splines description to.   The groom length tool maxes out at 10.  Is there anyway to scale the whole description so that I can paint longer fur? 

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Michael_Todd
in reply to: Anonymous

You can type higher values into the goal length field:

GoalLength.png

If you're using 2015, though, this won't work as the brush goal length could not go over 10.

The XGen primitives that will be rendered though can be made to be any length, just add a multiplier on the length map parameter:

$a=map('${DESC}/groom/length/');

$mult=2.0;#0.00,20.00

$a*$mult

The multiplier could be controlled by another map if needed:

$a=map('${DESC}/paintmaps/lengthMult');#3dpaint,20.0

$b=map('${DESC}/groom/length/');

$mult=0.4250;#0.00,10.00

($a*$mult)*$b

PaintMult.png

This of course will cause a significant mismatch between what you are grooming and what you will see in the preview:

Glt2.png

You can also increase the overall length of the groom:

GroomLength.png

The use that as the Max length reduce the length elsewhere. The problem with really long groomable splines is that you lose control of the ends as they get further away from the surface, where the brushes operate.

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Thanks Michael.

Ok, I see that works now in 2016.  We're just looking at switching over to it now.  I imagine there'll be other xgen fixes in there too!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report