Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow path distorts object

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
369 Views, 5 Replies

Flow path distorts object

Please can somebody help me, I've created a polygon model of a fish that I wanted to animate around a curve. After creating the fish I then created the motion path and attached it. It follows the path okay but as a rigid object rather than a flexible one. So to fix this I attached a flow path object but then the model becomes really distorted, I tried setting the flow path object to the curve as well as the object but neither worked.

I've also tried setting the Freeform Deformation Attributes to local as well as changing the outside lattice but it doesn't seem to change it.

I've attached a screenshot to show the problem, the pink wireframe is supposed to be the fish but you can see how distorted it is.

I'd be grateful for any help please on this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jordan.giboney
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for posting in our forum! Would you be able to share your scene file with us? I would be happy to look into this more on your behalf 🙂 

Thanks again for being  a part of our community! 

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jordan.giboney

Thanks Jordan, unfortunately it's not a private machine so we can't do that but I've attached another screenshot that may demonstrate the problem better. If I could send you the scene file directly (ie not post in the forum) I'm happy to do that.

Also if it helps the fish is traveling along an open path in the shape of a circle, however, prior to attaching the fish the path was twisted using a non-linear deformation.

The ffd lattice appears to be twisting the object at one particular point and any of the object that's outside of the lattice is inevitably not working correctly either.

What we're trying to achieve is a smooth transition around the path without distorting the model and also trying to ensure that the goldfish model fits inside the lattice.

Message 4 of 6
jordan.giboney
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Totally understand 🙂 you can send it to me in a private message too, if that is better: Hover over my forum name and a new window will pop up with a link saying "send private message". The best way to get the scene to me is to upload it to a drive folder (dropbox, for example) and then send the share/download link to me in a private message. 

I think this will be the most efficient way for me to help you with this specific scene. Would that be doable?

Thank you for your time and consideration! I look forward to your reply. 

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks Jordan, I've sent you a message with the file now.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Jordan

I just wondered if you got my message?

Thanks for helping

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report