Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulting module crash

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
pstarostin
9079 Views, 14 Replies

Faulting module crash

Hi there. 

I got a new computer, totally fresh Windows 10 Home and completely fresh install of either Maya2019 and Maya2020.  Both are behaving exactly the same way.   For the most part they work, but when using scripts that work on my old computer or work for everyone else I know, I get an instant Maya crash without error.  Just Poof maya disappears.   And when I check EventViewer I see this.

Faulting application name: maya.exe, version: 20.0.0.235, time stamp: 0x5dcd69e3
Faulting module name: _ssl.pyd, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57763335
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000073e3
Faulting process id: 0x26f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78f3e60d4e00b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\bin\maya.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\Python\DLLs\_ssl.pyd
Report Id: bd4465fd-513b-4830-896a-06c0ce32acdd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So this is just one of the  faulting module errors I see.  I get several very similar crashes depending on which script I'm trying to use.  Above one was when trying to load StudioLibrary

When trying to load AnimBot, I get same thing but pointing to this one
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\Python\DLLs\_hashlib.pyd

While running another script, it fails on highlighted line.  This script works for everyone else.
## Download Icon
appPath = os.environ['MAYA_APP_DIR']
path = os.path.join(appPath, version, "prefs/icons", imageName)
urllib.urlretrieve(url, path)     # <-- Maya Crash happens here

with following faulting module in event viewer.
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\bin\maya.exe

--Weird thing---
If I grab the offending .pyd files Maya/Python/DLLs folder and replace them with .pyd files from local installation of Python2.7 (just the ones that show up in the error) then the problem goes away... well almost.  Some other parts still fail but at least no crash. (AnimBot and StudioLibrary actually work) but I don't want to keep chasing problems with scripts that work everywhere else.

Soo.... I'm at a complete loss now.  I tried deleting everything Autodesk related, reinstalling fresh and always with the same result.

Side note.  Everything works great in Maya2022, no errors there.  But 2019 and 2020 behave exactly the same way.  And I kind of need to stick with 2020 for now.

HELP!!!!

I'm not sure if it's related, but on my old computer this command never gave me an Error Permission denied.  Could that have something to do with the problems above?

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\bin>mayapy.exe -m ensurepip --upgrade
Ignoring indexes: https://pypi.python.org/simple
Collecting setuptools
Collecting pip
Installing collected packages: setuptools, pip
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\users\peter\appdata\local\temp\tmpyvmxuw\pip-7.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl\pip\basecommand.py", line 211, in main
status = self.run(options, args)
File "c:\users\peter\appdata\local\temp\tmpyvmxuw\pip-7.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl\pip\commands\install.py", line 311, in run
root=options.root_path,
File "c:\users\peter\appdata\local\temp\tmpyvmxuw\pip-7.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl\pip\req\req_set.py", line 646, in install
**kwargs
File "c:\users\peter\appdata\local\temp\tmpyvmxuw\pip-7.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl\pip\req\req_install.py", line 803, in install
self.move_wheel_files(self.source_dir, root=root)
File "c:\users\peter\appdata\local\temp\tmpyvmxuw\pip-7.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl\pip\req\req_install.py", line 998, in move_wheel_files
isolated=self.isolated,
File "c:\users\peter\appdata\local\temp\tmpyvmxuw\pip-7.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl\pip\wheel.py", line 339, in move_wheel_files
clobber(source, lib_dir, True)
File "c:\users\peter\appdata\local\temp\tmpyvmxuw\pip-7.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl\pip\wheel.py", line 317, in clobber
shutil.copyfile(srcfile, destfile)
File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\bin\python27.zip\shutil.py", line 83, in copyfile
with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk\\Maya2020\\Python\\Lib\\site-packages\\easy_install.py'

Labels (4)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pstarostin
in reply to: pstarostin

Doh, since I can't edit the post. just wanted to say ignore that permission denied error at the end.  When I run in from command prompt Ran as Administrator, it works.

Message 3 of 15
pstarostin

This seems related.  When trying to run mayapy command from command prompt (as administrator) I get a very similar crash in Event Viewer, and nothing visually happens in command prompt.

mayapy -m pip install wheel

Faulting application name: mayapy.exe, version: 20.4.0.1627, time stamp: 0x5fabe01b
Faulting module name: _ssl.pyd, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57763335
Fault offset: 0x00000000000073e3
Faulting process id: 0xf14
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78f601425e884
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\bin\mayapy.exe
Report Id: 9e8b3a77-b54d-4e3b-aa24-afce4ca2637f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Message 4 of 15
DiegoViezzoli

Hi Peter,
I have a similar issue in these days, for me the module that makes the maya crash is "pymysql", basically we are happily using this python-lib in three hundreds of machines from several years, but on a new intel machine it breaks without any error !

We are on Maya 2018.5, so the python is 2.7.11, and pymysql 0.6.6 but I tried also the 0.10 without any success. I guess Windows made some "security" enforcements and this in some way close some types of connections... but it's bad to cannot identify any error, having just the event log:

Faulting application name: maya.exe, version: 18.5.0.7880, time stamp: 0x5bea86e0
Faulting module name: _hashlib.pyd, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57763333
Fault offset: 0x00000000000040a3
Faulting process ID: 0x3df0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d795a6a125030f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\maya.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\Python\DLLs\_hashlib.pyd

Message 5 of 15
pstarostin
in reply to: DiegoViezzoli

Hey.  Thanks for your reply.   Are all the new and old machines run the same up to date Windows versions?   Do you think this might be something to do with processor?   Mine is CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-11900KF 8/16 3.50GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 16MB Cache LGA1200

Message 6 of 15
DiegoViezzoli

Right now I could agree with your suspect (the specific processor), even if it's unbeliavable, a week ago I was believing the Windows version installed should be the culprit, but after different installations on that machine we still having the issue, while on different hardware still working fine as always been.
The point is we have also other computers identical to the one that breaks, the only difference is the date of the Windows installation... It's very annoying, anyway it's not about Maya, it seems more a Python issue, I can reproduce the crash in the python-shell as well infact I'm going to looking for some help on Stackoverflow next.

Message 7 of 15
pstarostin
in reply to: DiegoViezzoli

I agree.   Very annoying.   In my case it's a brand new computer and a fresh install.   If you find a solution, please let me know.   I contacted autodesk support as well, btw.   Maybe something will come out of there as well, although it's such a weird problem.  

Message 8 of 15
DiegoViezzoli

Hi Peter,

after further investigations I can confirm that we have this odd issue only on brand new machines with the processor:

11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz

I have open an help request on Stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68893416/python-2-7-compatibility-issue-with-11th-gen-intel-core...

For sure as you have written from the beginning moving to Maya 2020 or 2022 solve the issue because the newer Python version doesn't make this odd crash.

Message 9 of 15
pstarostin

Well, I sounds like I really lucked out with my CPU if that's the case.   Thanks for the update and I'll keep an eye on stackoverflow as well in case there's a solution.  I guess for now I'll just work with my workaround.  I pointed Autodesk support to this thread as well, just in case.

Message 10 of 15
DiegoViezzoli

Hi Peter,
working solution for me has been found here:

https://support.foundry.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012750300-Q100573-Katana-Mari-and-Nuke-can-fail-to-...

Basically it is a bug coming from OpenSSL on Windows:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/openssl-sha-crash-bug-requires-applica...

I hope it solves your issues as well.

Message 11 of 15
DiegoViezzoli
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you SO much!

setting env. variable OPENSSL_ia32cap=~0x200000200000000 works perfectly

Paul

Message 13 of 15
pstarostin

oh WOW.  Thank you so much for letting me know.  That solution works!!!   😄  

Message 14 of 15
alanYK9FF

Is this workaround the permanent solution or should we expect a Maya update that uses the newer OpenSSL soon?

Message 15 of 15

Saw this issue when opening a plugin on a *single* new machine (maybe the first one with 11th gen CPU), whereas other machines are all fine.  

Thank you guys for saving my sanity. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report