Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Error: Attempting to save Maya 2019 on Mac

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
6017 Views, 3 Replies

Fatal Error: Attempting to save Maya 2019 on Mac

Hello,

I was in the process of modelling a ring and while trying to clean up the mesh, the file crashed. I have tried to open the crash file but get the same error.

I have tried to look for solutions online, but the ones I have found are for Windows.

I am using Maya 2019 on Mac High Sierra.

I know there is a way to open the file in TextEdit and remove the corrupted data, but I have not had any luck.

I have attached a screenshot of the error and the TextEdit version of the file.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I KNEW THERE WAS A WAY OF USING TEXTEDIT! 😄

Create a Duplicate of your corrupted file FIRST!!

So the solution I found was to open the COPIED corrupted file using TextEdit (Right Click > Open With > Other).

This opens the file in text / code format of your file. That means everything you have done within the file, has a code equivalent within the text.

If you scroll down to the end of the TextEdit file, you'll find the line, "// End of (FILE NAME).ma".

In order to save your file, you have to back track to a point that is salvageable.

To do that, you need to delete a section of code at the bottom of the text, NOT including the "// End of (FILE NAME).ma" line (say 20-30 lines).

Then save the TextEdit file as a .ma and try to re-open it in Maya.

Keep backtracking and deleting code a couple of times until you are at a point where you can open it. This means that when you do open it, it will open in a 'previous' version of your work and you will have lost a bit of the most recent work. But this is better than having to start all over again.

Sigh, such a relief!

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I have the same error and the file inside /var/folders/01/........./T/  start with my [user name].xxxx.ma, 
I open that folder but no such file inside that folder, how can I resolve this problem?
Thanks a lot.....

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

It sounds like you are looking for the crash recovery file.

Unfortunately, Maya does not always save a crash file when it crashes. If there's nothing in that folder, it probably didn't save a crash file. Double check there aren't any hidden files in the folder (there should be a toggle to view hidden files, if you google it).

In the case of my file, the .ma file itself had become corrupted and unable to open.

If you use the steps in the solution above on your corrupted file, then it will be fixed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report