Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Combined mesh objects gives error

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
973 Views, 8 Replies

Exporting Combined mesh objects gives error

I have the following door which is a combined mesh that has 3 materials as you can see in the property editor (wood, glass, lambert7) also listed in the hyper-graph. I've also attached the UV of one of the object of the door prior to the combining and also posted the picture of the UV layout after combining them.

I exported the object using the 2017 fbx exporter version and got the following error white exporting:
LOG: [WARNING] Unable to export some material(s) - The plug-in does not support the following material types:
Material will be exported as a grey Lambert material.  What could I be doing wrong here?

door.jpghypergraph.jpgcombined_uv.jpguv_1.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

FBX can only export lamberts , phongs and blinns

Message 3 of 9
damaggio
in reply to: damaggio

it wont export any Arnold shaders.

Try to export with groups instead of combining objects.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I only used lambert for all the materials. 

So I seperated the objects and grouped them into a single node. I exported the node and got the same result.

Message 5 of 9
damaggio

How does it open in the other software?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I am importing it to Unreal, and I see all the objects with each of their materials which is fine but now I have 4 different models for a single door. 

I tried re combining them and exporting them, but again the FBX exported said it doesn't support the material "empty string".

Message 7 of 9
damaggio

It's better to shade in Unity not in Maya, combine only the objects that have the same material, glass parts for instance should be separate.

See if that works.

Message 8 of 9
damaggio

Unreal I mean.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the recomendation. So is there a bug in Maya's FBX export function or it's just that the format doesn't support this feature?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report