Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

# Error: ModuleNotFoundError: file <maya console> line 1: No module named 'pymel'

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
amaterasu-qbb
5087 Views, 2 Replies

# Error: ModuleNotFoundError: file <maya console> line 1: No module named 'pymel'

Hi!

I'm using Windows 10 and trying to install Pymel to use with Maya 2024, but I'm getting error messages like the one in the title, probably because I didn't install it correctly. How can I get Pymel to work?

I tried restarting Maya by running cmd or command prompt in the folder C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2024\bin
and type the following command.

mayapy -m pip install --user install pymel

A folder that would be the Pymel was installed in the \AppData\Roaming\Python.
Script folder and the pymel folder. These folders were manually moved to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2024\bin

folder that moved.folder that moved.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Problem solved.

Install the latest version of Python 3.11.4 as of 6/15/2023.
Go to https://pypi.org/project/pymel/ to find the version of pymel that Maya supports and install it. Version 1.4.0 is Maya 2024 compatible. Press CTRL + L in any explorer location to get to the address bar and type,

cmd

Run,

pip install --user pymel

This will install a site-packages folder in Roaming\ Python 311. Two pymel files will be installed in that folder.
Or you can run 

pip install pymel

C:\Users\student\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\Site-packages with two pymel files in the site-packages folder.

If you have already run pip install --user pymel, manually move the site-packeges folder to the Scripts folder in the Maya Scripts folder in the documentation.
If you have already run pip install pymell, create a site-packeges folder in Maya's scripts folder in the documentation, and manually move the pymel folder, pymel-1.4.0.dist-info folder to the scripts folder.

Note that in both cases the two folders, the pymel folder and the pymel-1.4.0.dist-info folder, must be in the site-packeges folder.

cmd result.cmd result.under the site-packages there are two folder.under the site-packages there are two folder.

I used the target command to download the site-packeges folder containing the pymel folder and the pymel-1.4.0.dist-info folder to the Maya Scripts folder in the documentation, but it made no sense.

This is really weird. Please comment if you know how to do it.

I wrote the same in this link.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/pymel-not-included-in-maya-2024/m-p/11891657/highlight/fal...

Message 3 of 3

Thank you so much !!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report