Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty STEP Export File: No object in exported file

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2295 Views, 3 Replies

Empty STEP Export File: No object in exported file

Hey guys, when I exported my selected object as a STEP file and try to import that file into Rhino or other softwares, no object shows up. The file size was only 1kb so it must be a problem with the export rather than the importing software. I'm using Maya 2020 on windows 10. 

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
patrick.schock
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

thanks for your post! Are you trying to export Nurbs or Polygon data from Maya? The STEP file export does only work with Nurbs data. You can try to export a Polygon sphere via STEP export, it will result in a 3 kb file, while exporting a Nurbs sphere will have 12 kb.

Can you explain more about the use case of the file export? In case you want to export Polygon data from Maya you can also use the .obj or the .fbx file format.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,

Patrick

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 3 of 4

is there any way to export a step file that isnt empty?

Message 4 of 4
_sebastian_f
in reply to: Anonymous

yes! export nurbs not polygon meshes as it was said before.if you need polygon export use something else like obj or fbx.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report