Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMD Button is redundant in Maya 2017

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
316 Views, 3 Replies

CMD Button is redundant in Maya 2017

What has happened to the CMD button in Maya 2017? For years it has been used to control the camera when used in conjunction with the mouse buttons, but all this seems to have jumped to the alt button?

I've seen another thread on this forum which advises using third party software to re-map the keys. There must be a better solution? Surely Autodesk have addressed this issue?

Can anyone help me?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The Windows or Command keys are what are considered either 'super' or 'meta' keys. Camera navigation in Maya has always been tied to the Alt keys on all operating systems, it's just that the super keys on OSX and Linux could also be used. If it no longer works, then I take it AD has decided to remain consistent across all OS's, as that key can also cause issues in Linux depending on the desktop environment used. Or it could just be cleanup. I never saw the harm in it on OSX. What version are you using (i.e. Update X). A prefs reset potentially could fix this, but this is the first time I've heard this come up.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks for your response,

For as long as I can remember - going back 10 years or so, the navigation button has always been cmd + the mouse key in Maya and has subsequently been etched into my muscle memory.

I've done a google search on the internet and found this thread regarding this issue, but doesn't really offer a solution.

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160518-small-annoying-things-to-fix-in-maya-forum/suggestion...

I really don't want to get used to using the alt key because it just feels... weird

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Unfortunately, I don't believe remapping navigation hotkeys is a possibility in Maya (I've gone back to threads in 2010 looking for an answer). You can always attempt changing these keymaps in the hotkeys editor.

The only other way I could think of is to find the config file that controls the core hotkeys and edit it, switching alt (option) for command, super, or meta. Maybe making a duplicate of the original keys will allow you to do this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators