Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animating curves/surfaces by control points

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2559 Views, 5 Replies

Animating curves/surfaces by control points

Hi guys! i'm new here, I'm a student who has just begun to start using Maya and Python programming in Maya, I would like to have some information about how to make curves or surfeces animation by moving control points.

I'm not sure that it is the right place for this kind of question, if it is not please tell me.

Thanks,

Valerio

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
erce.erim
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys! i'm new here, I'm a student who has just begun to start using Maya and Python programming in Maya, I would like to have some information about how to make curves or surfeces animation by moving control points.

I'm not sure that it is the right place for this kind of question, if it is not please tell me.

Thanks,

Valerio

Hey  Valerio,

depending on what you do - if you for instance create an EP Curve, you can select one or more Edit Points, and then go into the menu DEFORM and choose the POINT TO CURVE deformer. That creates a locator on your selected edit points - and them you can simply keyframe as usual.

Hope that helps somehow.

Erce

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: erce.erim

Thank's Herce for answer me, I'm starting now with my project and further on i can be more specific (in a new topic)! What you say me in your answer works fine, now I'm understanding what i need and then i will come back here! Bye Herce!

Valerio

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: erce.erim

Not sure I understand this answer. There is no Point to Curve deform in that menu. In fact there isn't one anywhere. There is only Point On Curve.

I am trying to figure out how to animate a bezier curve with a locator or other object as a controller.

This answer does no work. In fact the solution I found is here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-Cha...

But it does not actually do anything. I tried several times to follow these steps precisely. And nothing happens. No locator is created.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks, this one worked fo me. Do as they indicate in the procedure, after selecting curve point, click at the location of your curve that you want to animate, it will add a yellow dot. Then go into Deform menu > Point on Curve, and it will create a new object in the Outliner called locator1, that you can simply animate.

Message 6 of 6
erce.erim

I just have tried it again as I described and it works still in Maya 2020. But of course - it´s called Point On Curve not Point To Curve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report