Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alt+MMB not working

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
gradynmt
220 Views, 5 Replies

Alt+MMB not working

While I've found a number of posts on these forums about this issue, none of the posted solutions are working for me, so I guess I'm making a new post.

What it says on the tin: Alt+MMB isn't working to move the perspective camera in Maya 2024. Alt+LMB and Alt+RMB both work; MMB works as expected elsewhere, just not in Maya. Holding MMB in Maya causes the mouse cursor to remain stationary throughout mouse movement. COULD be a Windows setting (Win10), but I couldn't find it.

I've already reset Maya's preferences, even though this was a fresh install, to no avail. Cannot seem to find a relevant setting in preferences anyway.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
amaterasu-qbb
in reply to: gradynmt

Hi! @gradynmt ,

Since you don't describe your PC configuration, I can only guess, but have you updated the drivers for your GPU?

Although this is a different issue than what you are asking about the Graph Editor, I have seen problems solved by updating the GPU drivers and reinstalling Maya. (Sorry for the Japanese article...)
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-ri-ben-yu/gurafueditanokabuwo-diao-jiesuru-bu-fenganakunatteru/m...
You can find out what hardware your Maya supports here.
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/tsarticles/ts/udHliGvFHZVjHgd2e8JUK.html

I hope this helps.

Best,

Message 3 of 6
gradynmt
in reply to: amaterasu-qbb

Graph editor? I'm asking about clicking and dragging to move the camera, of which two of the three options DO work as intended. I can't imagine updating the GPU drivers would make a difference with something like this, especially when the majority of the functionality works. There's nothing fundamentally different between tumbling the camera and shifting it.

For the record, my GPU is an Nvidia Quadro K2000, which seems to only be an issue if I want to use the Arnold renderer? (I have another computer for that.)
Message 4 of 6
amaterasu-qbb

Hi! @gradynmt ,

First, can you give us some details about your computer configuration? We don't have enough information to know what the problem is.

• Is it a prebuild from pcbuilder.net or did you build it?
  • Are you connecting the memory and GPU to the correct slots on the computer's motherboard?
  • What is your operating system?
  • What's said in the Dxdiag information? (mainly System and Display tabs).
  • Are you using a gaming mouse or device?
  • What is the driver version for your gaming device?

We would like to see at least this information. I will include a picture for your reference.

my Dxdiag Info.my Dxdiag Info.image.png

Why did I show the graph editor example in my previous post? Its purpose.

Because Maya has a complex set of features that interact with each other, the questioner's problem with the Graph Editor was that the Graph Editor key handles did not show up. Yes, that's the problem. It was a display and manipulation problem. Your question is also a display and manipulation problem since you cannot track (Alt + MMB) the camera in the viewport.

This person also reset the preferences, but that did not solve the problem. So I asked this questioner to check the configuration of his PC, update the GPU drivers, and do a clean install of Maya.

The problem was solved. So, based on my experience, I suggested that this problem might also be GPU-related.

I used a Quadro P2000 on my previous PC and had no problems. I kept it at the latest version, whatever it was, and managed Logitech's Superlight Pro with G-Hub.
Now I have built a new computer and have not changed anything except for a new RTX 3070 ti, RAM, CPU, and motherboard. Whatever it is, I keep it up to date and manage Logitech's Superlight Pro with the G Hub. But there is no problem.

The GPU does more than just render images. It also controls the viewport.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/maya-viewport-performance-cpu-or-gpu/td-p/7297048

So, @gradynmt .
If you do not mind, you can update the GPU drivers and do a clean install of Maya. If it is a gaming device, be aware of the device drivers, etc.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Message 5 of 6
gradynmt
in reply to: amaterasu-qbb

It's an HP Z620. Yes, the memory and GPU are connected correctly. Having updated the GPU driver (it was indeed on an old version) and re-installing Maya, the problem persists.

The reason I am... now 100% certain the problem is a Windows setting is because middle-clicking and dragging while in literally any software, the mouse pointer does not move. My mouse is a PS/2 mouse, by necessity as I'm using an old KVM switch with my setup; alas, it is just an included HP mouse, so there are no super-special-awesome Logitech settings to change or anything.

EDIT: Using X-Mouse to re-map the MMB to the RMB, Maya is allowing me to track. So yes, it is 100% a Windows setting issue, which I still don't understand but I've got it kinda hobbling along now.

Message 6 of 6
amaterasu-qbb

Hi! @gradynmt ,

I'm glad you solved the problem. Thanks for sharing your solution. It will help others who have the same problem as you.

Best,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report