Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D models

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
saundersj7PB45
441 Views, 18 Replies

3D models

Are there free 3D models within Maya?  I've been trying to connect an FBX motion capture file from Motive (Optitrack software) to models from sites like TurboSquid, Free3D, SketchFab, and Mixamo by using bind skin in Maya.  In one case with a very basic man model from Free3D, it actually worked.  However, in other cases, the model looked wonky when binding the skin of my FBX motion capture file.  The appendages would be out of whack.  Or, with the Mixamo model, I got a message that the model already has a skin so I would be unable to bind the skin of my FBX motion capture figure with the model.

I'm just wondering if there are actual models within Maya's library or if they always need to be downloaded from a 3rd party site.

I'm also wondering if there are models available anywhere that come in as separate parts.  When I download models, they always come in as one merged figure.  So, I always have to try to adjust my FBX motion capture model to match the pose of the downloaded model.

Lastly, is there any way to connect directly with Maya support?  I work for a high school but would be willing to pay for support as there are so many questions that have come up as I've tried to learn how to connect my FBX motion capture models to models downloaded from the Internet. 

The forum is good but I am not always able to get the answers I need.  I have uploaded videos of the bind skin process that actually worked and of one that looks wonky.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
damaggio
in reply to: saundersj7PB45

You can find some models under Effects Assets>modeling

Message 3 of 19

Can you tell me where the effects menu is located?  I'm using Maya 2024 on a Mac.  Thanks again.

Message 4 of 19
damaggio

Its in the FX category but you can move it to animation or modeling if you have a large monitor.

Message 5 of 19
damaggio

EffectsMeu.jpg

Message 6 of 19

That effects menu is missing in my Maya window.  It goes from the Generate to the Cache menu and is missing several

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 10.35.31 AM.png

menus in between.

Message 7 of 19
damaggio

It's not missing, you just haven't customized yet, go to the left menu Modeling, choose customize and add all items you

feel important and that fits in your monitor menu.

Message 8 of 19
saundersj7PB45
in reply to: damaggio

Sorry to have to keep asking questions.  But, where is the customize option on the status bar?  

Message 9 of 19
damaggio

its circled in red in my image, inside modeling tab, left corner.

Message 10 of 19

All I see if the modeling choice itself.  I don't see an option to customize the modeling tab itself.  

Message 11 of 19
damaggio

Its the modeling option circled in RED in my jpg image, not the poly modeling tab.

Message 12 of 19
saundersj7PB45
in reply to: damaggio

Got it.  You meant the customize option was in that dropdown menu.  I thought it was a button on the menu bar.  I found it.  Thanks again.

Message 13 of 19
damaggio

Awesome👍:sports_medal:

Message 14 of 19

Are these four models basically it within Maya?  Thanks again.

Message 15 of 19
damaggio

Why dont you grab them?

Message 16 of 19
damaggio

Those will be static scans though, the 4D animated scans are not yet available in 2025. You'll find a lot of interesting assets you can download from that browser.

Message 17 of 19

Which browser is that?

Message 18 of 19
damaggio

The Content browser, that's the correct name actually, my fault.

Message 19 of 19
damaggio

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report