Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D-Grooming tutorials from CharlyTutors

67 REPLIES 67
SOLVED
Message 1 of 68
akcharly
4260 Views, 67 Replies

3D-Grooming tutorials from CharlyTutors

Hello everyone!

My name is Andrew and I have been working in 3D since 2009.

My portfolio

Now I am focused only on grooming. That is, I make hair/fur for cinematic characters, movies, NFTs, cartoons and commercials. I work with Ornatrix + 3ds Max/Maya/C4D/Unreal Engine.

I can do both for rendering - Vray/Arnold/Redshift/Octane, and for Unreal (new workflow) - GroomPlugin/Alembic Hair.

As of today, I started to translate my channel with answers to cg grooming questions - into English. Yes, it's not that fast - but I'm trying. Because not everyone likes to read subtitles and would like to listen to the lessons in their own language. I do the voiceover with AI - because it's not realistic to do all the voiceover myself.

If you can't wait to see all my lessons, there is the main Youtube-channel and there is support for English subtitles.

Obviously, I could not add them to the rest of the video... I'm working on it. But all the old ones are already supported. There is a lot of videos - not only CG Grooming. Still working with this channel - since 2016.

At the moment I'm translating the channel with answers to the questions

Then I'll finish the translation of the main channel.

Basically, for the last time, the topic of all the lessons is CG-Grooming in Maya-3ds Max - Unreal Engine.

The next post will be the first lesson with AI voiceover.

Because of the war - I don't always get to do it - but I try. So any support from you would be appreciated.

So. Happy viewing!
And good mood to you.
Regards,
Andrew.

EESignature

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" повідомленню! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!

На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку 'ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ' | Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Андрiй Кривуля | Andrew Krivulya | 3D Grooming Artist - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIN | Youtube | Artstation

67 REPLIES 67
Message 21 of 68
akcharly
in reply to: akcharly

In this episode - I show how to make a bundle of guides with a special brush DemoClump.
---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Choosing a brush.
0:07 - Activate DemoClump in "User-Defined Brushes".
0:13 - Turn off "Preserve Strand Length" and "Optimize Strand Geometry
0:14 - Enabling "Affect Selected Only" to affect only the selected part and create a clump.
---

Enjoy watching!
Sincerely, Andrew Krivulya Charly.

EESignature

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" повідомленню! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!

На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку 'ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ' | Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Андрiй Кривуля | Andrew Krivulya | 3D Grooming Artist - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIN | Youtube | Artstation

Message 22 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I show the Plant tool, which allows you to create new guides in a selected location.
If you select a guide and then use the tool, it will repeat the shape and direction.
---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Choosing the right guide to replicate its shape
0:04 - Activate Plant Tool to plant a new guide with the same shape.
0:08 - Comb the new guide
0:11 - Use the Plant Tool again and it will replicate the shape of this guide
---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 23 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I show the tool "Draw Strands" with which - you can draw guides in any direction.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Selecting the DrawStrands tool
0:04 - Drawing guides in different directions
0:22 - If you turn "Draw Along Surface" on, the guide will snap to the surface. This is useful for drawing eyebrows or fur.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 24 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I'm showing the "Create" brush, which allows you to draw hair on the surface. At the same time, you can adjust their density, etc.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Selecting the Create brush.
0:08 - Demonstrating how the Random option works.
0:46 - The Center option allows you to create 1 guide in the center of the stroke. This allows you to create eyelashes, eyebrows, whiskers, etc.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 25 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I show the Surface Comb tool in Ornatrix for Maya.

It is designed to procedurally define the shape and orientation of a character's fur along a surface. It can be used to stylize a large number of hairs at the macro level by using directional vectors to specify their flow and a curve to define their shape relative to the distribution surface.
---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Applying the Surface Comb modifier
0:07 - Selecting the Sinc Editing Tool.
0:10 - Adjusting the direction of the fur.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 26 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I show you how to quickly create a ponytail using the Surface Comb tool in Ornatrix for Maya.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Applying Surface Comb modifier
0:05 - Selecting the Sink Editing Tool and adjusting the direction of the hair
0:15 - Using the curve in the SurfaceComb setting - I push the hair against the head.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 27 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I show you how to quickly create side ponytails using the "Surface Comb" modifier in Ornatrix for Maya.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Applying Surface Comb.
0:12 - Adjusting hair direction with symmetry activated.
0:33 - Making different adjustments to get ponytails on the sides.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 28 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I show you how to control the length of hair or fur - using the Surface Comb tool in Ornatrix Maya.

You can create several guidelines of different lengths and Ornatrix will use that length for the hair.

In this way, you can set up a smooth fade in length.

---
CONTENTS:

0:05 - Applying SurfaceComb.
0:09 - Selecting Sink Editing Tool to create guides
0:15 - Activating the "Affect Whole Strand" option to take the length of the guideway into account.
0:17 - Creating guide rails of different lengths

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 29 of 68
akcharly

Episode 28 is the only one I have with my voiceover and I haven't translated it into English yet - so skip it and move on to Episode 29.

In this episode I show the Oscillator modifier.

Oscillator is a procedural dynamics simulator designed to predict the hairs's follow thru motion and creating inertia movement without full featured hair simulation. This operator supports gravity impulses and Maya's external forces such as turbulence, wind, and vortex.

Documentation - https://ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/maya/ornatrix/docs/3/Oscillator.html

---
CONTENTS:

0:05 - Showing object animation without Oscillator
0:13 - Activating Oscillator

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 30 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I demonstrate the workflow without Branching in Ornatrix Maya.

In Maya - this tool has not yet been finalized, so you have to create separate Ornatrix objects - without linking to each other and without using Branching. That is, if you need to comb all the parts at once, as you can do with Branching in 3ds Max, it will not work.

You have to select each object with separate proxies and comb it.

That is, as you can notice in this video, I have a separate Ornatrix object for each part, not as in 3ds Max - one Edit Guides for all proxies...

But that didn't stop me from creating this hairstyle 😃

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nYZq5E

Yes, it is less convenient to edit, but you can work.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Demonstrating layers in Maya. Each layer is a separate object without being linked to a single Edit Guides. That is, each object has one separately.
0:22 - You can select each layer individually and edit the hair.
1:04 - Then when you've edited one layer - align all the others in turn. Yes, not very convenient... but alas, until Maya - there is no Branching function.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 31 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I continue to demonstrate workflow without Branching in Ornatrix Maya.

In Maya, this tool has not yet been finalized, so you have to create separate Ornatrix objects - without linking to each other and without using Branching.

In this video I show that you cannot instantly assign a group to a separate guide and use a different proxy-mesh for it. If you just want to assign a proxy to one guide with a different group - you need to clone the whole stack with Duplicate Special and then assign the proxy to that guide.

---
CONTENTS:

0:10 - Showing that I want to select one guide and assign it a specific proxy with haircard.
0:16 - To do this, I clone the object with Duplicate Special
0:31 - Deleting unnecessary guides
0:45 - Using MeshFromStrands - I apply another proxy for this guide.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 32 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I show how to set up Parting by group in HairFromGuides - using Ornatrix for Maya.

Thanks to this feature - you can assign different groups in Edit Guides and thus create parting for hair.

---

CONTENTS:

0:00 - Demonstrating the groups into which I split the guides
0:04 - Turning on HairFromGuides
0:08 - Turning on Parting by Group
0:27 - Assigning guides to create another group
0:33 - Assigning a new group to them

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 33 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I show you how to adjust the blending of different length values using groups in Ornatrix for Maya. This allows you to do a smooth fading and transition from skin to fur, hair, etc. - without drawing masks.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Showing the groups I assigned to the guides
0:02 - Turning on the HairFromGuides and Length modifier.
0:06 - Showing how the Blend Distance parameter works.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 34 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I show you how to blend different Frizz values - using groups in Ornatrix for Maya. This allows you to do a smooth fading and transition from skin to fur, hair, etc. - without drawing masks.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Showing the groups I assigned to the guides
0:03 - Turning on HairFromGuides and Frizz
0:08 - Using BlendDistance to adjust the blending.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 35 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I show how to export from Maya to Ornatrix Alembic, which can be used in Ornatrix 3ds Max or Cinema4d.

After that you can edit the hair, delete it with the Delete brush or add new ones with the Create brush. You can also apply different modifiers and do different manipulations, just like with normal hair.

Yes, you won't have guides anymore, but if you need them, you can add them with Adopt External Guides.

How to do it - told in this video

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Selecting the topmost modifier stack to select an Ornatrix object and prepare it for export.
0:03 - Exporting to Ornatrix
0:17 - For Cinema4D, Maya - Y axis. For 3ds Max - Z.
0:33 - Checking what we got in Cinema4D
1:34 - Import in 3ds Max

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 36 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I show how to export an Ornatrix object from Maya with Vertex Color preservation in Unreal Engine 4.

Thanks to this, you can save a color or several colors that you painted on your hair and use this in the Unreal Engine 4 Hair Shader.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Demonstrating Vertex Color
0:04 - Exporting to Ornatrix Alembic
0:08 - Activating the Unreal Export option
0:27 - Demonstrating how it looks in Unreal Engine 4.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 37 of 68
akcharly

In this episode, I show you how to do Parting with Surface Comb in Ornatrix for Maya.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Adding the Surface Comb modifier
0:05 - Selecting the Sink Editing Tool
0:10 - Separate the hair with the hair guides pointing in different directions.
0:33 - Adjust a separate curve for each of the guides.

---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 38 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I show how to turn regular hair into "sculpt hair" for your mesh in Zbrush - using Ornatrix for Maya.

Personally, I feel more comfortable making them in Ornatrix than in Zbrush - using curves. Because the functionality of Ornatrix allows you to get a lot of things much faster and more convenient.

---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - First we create normal hair with the Create brush
0:38 - Assign MeshFromStrands to convert hair into a sculpted mesh.
---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 39 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I'm just showing the convenience of the HairCards workflow in Ornatrix Maya, when you can edit each of the HairCards at any time (combing, increasing or decreasing the length, trimming, etc.)

Yes, this Workflow is a bit worse than Ornatrix 3ds Max, since it doesn't support Branching, which I've already mentioned in my videos. But still - it's much more convenient than creating HairCards completely by hand without Ornatrix.

This is just a small part of what you can do.
---
CONTENTS:

0:00 - Selecting the first layer of hair
0:06 - Demonstrating the HairCards combing option
0:30 - Decreasing or increasing the length
0:33 - Demonstrating combing again
---

Enjoy watching!

EESignature

Message 40 of 68
akcharly

In this episode - I continue to work with the guides in Ornatrix for Maya to get the right shape of hair. I also apply - the first basic clump to get bunches of hair and give more realism. And of course - adding basic Frizz. But mostly - all the work comes down to editing the guides.

--- 

CONTENTS:

0:00 - Turning on subtitles

0:05 - Where can I see dubbing in other languages?

0:10 - What will be in this episode?

0:42 - Editing the guides

3:46 - Creating a new Clump.

7:49 - Adding SubClump.

8:15 - Adding Frizz.

9:00 - Back to editing guides and form again

13:15 - Editing groups for Clump.

---

Enjoy watching!

Sincerely,

Andrew Krivulya Charly.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report