Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Maya Doesn't Have a Poses Manager like Studio Library?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rooseveltrrp
4898 Views, 5 Replies

Why Maya Doesn't Have a Poses Manager like Studio Library?

Hey, Autodesk,

I am fairly new to Maya, so pardon me if I have overlooked anything. Coming from tools like Daz/Poser or iClone, Maya's workflow is a bit different.

I particularly love Maya's character rigging tool and the ability to make rock solid animations on the fly. However, it sucks when it comes to saving preset poses (unless I'm missing something).

I tried out two tools within Maya so far. The Pose Editor under "Windows -> Animation Editors -> Pose Editor" and the pose tool under the Trax Editor.

It seems like the first pose editor is a bit misleading. It appears to fix mesh deformation issues rather than saving preset poses, and the Pose tool under Trax is tied to a specific scene. So, I can't access the saved poses from the Visor on another project or a scene. I looked at the Atom format as well, and it's geared towards animations.

I dig Studio Library, but it's a bit buggy. So, hence my search for a cool tool.

Here's what I want to do.

I want the fastest way to use preset poses, mirror them and apply to different characters. Any Biped character with a skeleton can be mapped to Maya's Control Rig. So, I don't see why we can't save specific poses out of Maya's Control Rig and apply them to different Biped models after they are characterized with Maya's control rig -_- 

And the other important thing is to be able to use those poses in another scene. Studio Library addresses all those requirements, but it's buggy. Hence, my question, why Autodesk/Maya with so much horsepower behind it hasn't created something so cool yet. And if it did, where is it?

Tools like Studio Library makes it possible to easily create poses, share poses, apply the same pose to a different character and what not.

What would you advise?

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @rooseveltrrp

Thanks for posting 🙂 I completely agree that this is an area where we could really improve Maya. Coming from a background in animation, I used to utilize the Pose2Shelf Tool prior to the HIK tool, but currently, that has some known compatibility issues with the new tools. All that being said, we have multiple Improvement Requests logged internally to improve this area, but, if you have time, I think it would be very well received on our Feedback Forums. This forum allows other Maya users to vote on customer-generated ideas for improvement and escalates them directly to our Development team.

I have had many discussions with the designers of the HIK tool, including the compatibility with tools such as Studio Library and they definitely are aiming to improve this. If you have any difficulties logging in or posting on the forum please let me know, I would love to see this idea get some public recognition.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know 🙂 I would be happy to continue assisting you.

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 6

Hi @rooseveltrrp

Just wanted to check in and see if you were able to log into our Feedback Forum and post your ideas 🙂 I strongly believe that your ideas would be very popular in our community, and get escalated to development within a short period of time.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know 🙂 I would be happy to help.

Jordan Giboney

Message 4 of 6

Hi @jordan.giboney,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your suggestion. I went ahead and posted my feedback as a suggestion. I am glad you are familiar with this part of Maya and willing to give it a fair chance. I strongly appreciate it.

You can see my suggestion here: https://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/31782667-provide-a-...

Feel free to close this thread if you want to.

Thanks,
Roosevelt

Message 5 of 6

Happy to help @rooseveltrrp! I went ahead and voted for your idea too 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to do that!

If a new problem or question arises please do not hesitate to post again, I'd be happy to help!

Jordan Giboney

Message 6 of 6

any news for pose tools after maya 2020 ?!!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report