Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to move child when I move parent (Constraints)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
yes_yeet_com
715 Views, 2 Replies

Unable to move child when I move parent (Constraints)

Hey, first time rigging something and new to maya. So, I've been trying to rig this model and when I try to move the child and parents later in a animation they aren't connected anymore. I've tried changing the parent setting (Rigging -> Constraints -> Parent -> the box thingy to the right that opens the settings) and it still doesn't work. I don't if I am rigging it wrong or doing something else wrong.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Kahylan
in reply to: yes_yeet_com

Hi!

As you can see, when you put keyframes on your constrained objects, the channels turn green. This means they are weight blended. Now you can theoretically key that weightblending on and off with an attribute that gets created on the child object, but my advice would be to avoid keying constrained objects. Or to put it differently, avoid constraining objects you want to key later.

With your example this is acutally quite easy. because your rig seems to be fk only, you can just work with hierarchy.

Simply parent your objects to each other so they follow correctly (legs to hips, torso to hips, shoulders to torso, upperarm to shoulder and so on). This will give you a fully functionig rig that behaves like you want and you can easily key.

Now with more complex rigs you can avoid this problem by using offset/constraint groups. Simply group the object you want to constrain to a group that is in the same world position as your object and then constrain the group instead of the object. this keeps the channels from conflicting and blending values since the constraint is on the parent object and the keyframes on the child object.

I hope it helps!

Message 3 of 3
yes_yeet_com
in reply to: Kahylan

Hey, thanks a ton, but now the parts are becoming compressed and scaling weird. Did I do hierarchy wrong or did I mess up somewhere else?

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report