Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tail end joint is not following dynamic curve

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1066 Views, 3 Replies

Tail end joint is not following dynamic curve

Hello. I am creating a tail rig and have IK and FK already set up -- IK using Spline handle. I have created a dynamic curve by copying the IK curve and, with it selected, gone to nHair and then Make Selected Curves Dynamic. I've moved the output curve it creates outside of its' group along with the original curve and follicle node. I then deleted the groups that they were previously in and kept the remaining nucleus and hair system nodes as is in the outliner. I changed the point lock on the follicle node to "Base" in order to free the end of the tail curve so that it will fall down when I hit play. I then connected the IK joints to the dynamic curve using blend shapes by selecting the dynamic curve then the original IK curve and then deform/blend shapes. After setting the tail_Dynamic_BlendShape input to 1, all of the base joints and IK joints begin to follow the dynamic curve perfectly. All except for the end base joint. It lags behind as if still being influenced by a joint or ctrl up in the tails original position. I've checked the parent constraints on the base joint and made sure that everything was in order in the node editor, but I cant seem to figure out what is influencing the base end joint and not allowing it to fully follow the dynamic curve. I will attach a screenshot of the viewport and outliner for reference. The joints in the original position (seen in dark blue in a straight line) are the FK joint chain and the IK ctrlJoints. The joints below that are following the orange curve are the IK joint chain + base joint chain + IK curve and Dynamic curve. I have the rotational axis' toggled on for the base joint chain only. So you can see that the end IK joint is where it should be, but the base end joint is not. Has anyone else had this problem or perhaps know a good way to trouble shoot the issue? I'm not good with coding at all so any solutions that don't require that would be superb. tailDynamicCurveIssueCapture.PNG 

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
stephenkmann
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure where your spline curve is in this screen shot. 

Is the last joint constrained or connected to anything other than the IK spline handle?

that joint looks like it's constrained to the other two joints equally  rather than switching between the two joints.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: stephenkmann

I did some more digging in the node editor and found that the end ctrlJoint was connected to the base end joint parent constrain node. After breaking that connection everything fell into place. Thanks for the help!

Message 4 of 4
stephenkmann
in reply to: stephenkmann

glad I could help.

be sure to mark it as "solved" 

-=s

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report